UP English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Class 21/10

+17
camille crochet
Bedon hugo
aperri25
Romain Robert
BABEAU Clémence
Paul Teillet
Ropied
Chris Boutenet Lardy
Théo Ben Saada
lmaricot
Pardoux Emma
Nathan Fivet
Léna Le Bondé
Anthony Lopez
Emeline CROUZEAUD
Thomas_Charp
Admin
21 posters

Go down

Class 21/10 Empty Class 21/10

Post by Admin Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:55 am

Today you have a few minutes in the classroom with me for your oral expression "controle". For the rest of the time you can do the Video comprehensions that you haven't finished and you also have to read this long text:

https://www.france24.com/en/20201013-policing-without-consent-why-french-police-are-ill-equipped-to-reconquer-paris-suburbs

After you have read it you need to give your views in this thread. Finish it for your homework before the 11/11/2020. I'd expect 250-300 words. affraid

I'll leave you to organise your own order for entry to the oral expression. Please always have someone ready to enter the classroom when the previous student leaves (approx every 3 minutes). Bring pen and paper for notes.

Last edited by Admin on Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Class 21/10 Empty Re: Class 21/10

Post by Thomas_Charp Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:04 pm

This article comes from France 24 and was posted on 13/10/20, so it is a recent article. To sum it up, it is about the French police. In this article, we have one main theme: politics. To be more precise on the subject, the question is: for who does the police work? For politics or for the people? Do they have enough time to learn? Isn't their equipment too important? And do politicians do something for the French police or not?

What I am about to say is only my own opinion on this subject. So if someone disagrees with me, we can talk about it without any problem because I don't have the absolute truth.

First of all, I think that the cops must work not for politics but for the people because it is their duty to solve or do something on any problem we, the people, have and for this reason it is not necessary to use force to force people to listen and do what they say. If we take the example of the "gilet jaune", the police used weapons against people who did not have any. Of course, both sides have their own advantages and disadvantages, but at the time we could probably talk and not fight, we could solve this problem peacefully.
Further on the resources available to the police officer or their techniques. I really think, as he says in this article, that the French police have to learn more than 8 months to be a policeman because they use force and not discussion. I take a global case and to be in agreement with everyone, this is not the truth for all police officers.
Moreover, one of the main problems is that of the politicians, because they don't help the policemen enough by acting! Politicians just talk and talk but don't move a single finger to solve the problem of the French cops and what is happening around this subject. They come where the illegal actions are done and they talk again and again, whatever the politicians' side is, because they tell the others that they are "there for us" blablabla but none of them have moved, not even the president(s). No matter Macron, François Holland or Sarkozy, they talked about future action before or during their mandate and did nothing more than just give more work to the cops. It's difficult to put in place I can understand that, but if you said it, you have to do it because the people voted for you, because they think you're going to move the country. Macron has been in power for 3 years and he has done absolutely nothing for them. For me, in general politicians are just good talkers. I take a generality but most of them are like that and for me it's just raging.

To conclude, I think that the French police have big problems and it's not up to the people to help them, it's up to the people who have the power to do that and solve all the problems they have, like the attacks on their own police station, the amount of work they have and also the resulting actions like suicide, depression and more....

With this topic we could also talk about the doctors during this year's health crisis and about the "usefulness" of the politicians on the gratification they have and what they should really do, because they are our saviours during this crisis, not the politicians.

Thomas_Charp

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Emeline CROUZEAUD Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:08 pm

The newspaper de France 24 wrote an article on the attack which took place in Champagne Vigny, in the Paris suburbs on a new police station. A group of young people attacked this new construction to degrade it. The article evokes the facts but also a set of events which took place before this attack and which would be linked.
The population shows a lot of violence towards the French police; in particular since 2018-2019. The figures speak for themselves, the number of police complaints is only increasing and the number of suicides of police officers exceeds the number of deaths during the exercise of their function.
However, the newspaper also reveals the dissatisfaction of the French and underlines a possible questioning of the government, of an unsuitable organization in the police services which would come from the regulations of the superiors.
The article also discusses police violence against the population. The police in general and especially in the suburbs would show more violence towards a poor and mixed population see black.
The author also points out the problem of police training, it is the young people who are sent to the most difficult neighborhoods when their initial training is not intended for that.
The police / population problem has only become more complicated for several years now, each from their own point of view and few will see that of the other. It is obvious that the situation cannot improve as long as the French do not change their mentalities and the government does not put the necessary means to correct this situation. The police are supposed to protect the population, so they should not be able to trust them and the police should be trained to deal with potential problems.

Emeline CROUZEAUD

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Anthony Lopez Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:10 pm

This article was published recently on the newspaper France 24, on 13/10/2020, it is interesting because it highlights recent facts that shows us the topicality of the problem. The conflict between suburban youth and the police has been going on for a long time, in part because of politicians who, instead of encouraging a certain relationship, seek full power and control over these suburbs and youth. Today it is a paradox because it is young suburbs who are disadvantaged people are often also neglected by the state in the education system. By not showing them that they will not succeed in school, and will not get away with it in their studies they will therefore choose the ease and fall into delinquency and the sale of drugs.
Generalities have also been made to police officers as well as to young people in the suburbs. All suburban youth from these disadvantaged neighbourhoods do not fall into delinquency and integrate into working life. The same goes for the police, not everyone acts in a disapproved way towards these young people, some try to make the relations go well only the state does not encourage them to do that. Most of the interventions I have been able to make as firefighters in disadvantaged neighbourhoods have gone very well, after which it is true that there are inappropriate behaviours towards us too who are there to help the population.
The history of the yellow vests or the forces of law and order were overtaken by the number of demonstrators and the violence of some in this demonstration. Their response was probably exaggerated only one must understand the pressure also exerted on them for it to be policing. One of the most worrying concerns for police officers is the lack of training, especially since some have never known this type of neighbourhood. They are sent to the unarmed front, how would you like there to be a good relationship if the people who intervene in this type of neighbourhood do not understand by their operations and they are not trained in mediation towards this type of population.
Today all these problems stem from a lack of training, personnel and communication. If we can change the behaviour of the offender who is only trying to annoy the police and the police officer who is just trying to take the young people from the suburbs, all of these things would not happen. This requires training of staff, communication between these young people and staff and building a relationship of trust between these people, This would ease the pressure and relations would allow these neighbourhoods to reintegrate into society and develop an economy with businesses or other.

Anthony Lopez

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Léna Le Bondé Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:42 pm

This article was published on the newspaper France 24, on 13/10/2020.  This article tells us about the confrontation of the French police against young people in the most disadvantaged suburbs of France. The treated subject is also mixed with politics, this article raises real existential questions.
As far as I am concerned, being a police officer today is a dangerous job. As it is said at the beginning of the article, a police station in one of the suburbs of Paris had to undergo a "reinforcement" of its buildings because of an attack with fireworks by young people from the suburbs, is this normal? I don't think so... I don't think so.
I think that the police system in France is not that clear and that we don't allow enough time for an apprentice to become and learn how to be a real police officer. Certainly there have been stories of some police officers abusing their authority over people inferior to them, but since this affair, everyone has put all the police officers in the same bag, and that's not what should be done. It is necessary to know how to differentiate a bad police officer from a good one.
I also think that the stories between American and American police officers have had too great an impact on French citizens, and that we are making a connection that does not exist between French and American police officers.
I think that in France there is a real problem between using force because it is necessary and using force to use force and being heard. I think that the force between police officers and citizens has increased considerably since the yellow vests, which had no respect for the police. I find it normal to use force against people who seek violence in return. I also think that politics plays a destructive role in the relationship between the police and suburban youth, instead of appeasing things politicians only seek to have full power over suburban youth, which I can understand fuels their anger.
It is a very complex subject that has been dealt with because nobody really agrees, but it is clear that solutions and decisions must be taken, to avoid endangering citizens, like the police.

Léna Le Bondé

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Fivet Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:43 pm

This article comes from France 24 and was posted on October 13, 2020, so recently. This article is really very interesting because we learn a lot of things about the French police force compared to the suburbs and compared to the police systems in other countries. Reading this article we understand that the French police do not fulfill their role well because there is more and more tension between groups of young people from disadvantaged communities and the police. When they talk about numbers and statistics, I found it shocking that there is more and more suicide among police officers because of all this. Especially when we see that there is more suicide than death due to their function. This explains why there is a problem in the French police system.
I agree with the fact that community policing needs to be put back in place. Indeed, it is by being in contact and having good relations with the people that the relationship of trust towards one another will be built. We can see that from the moment Sarkozy abolished this community police, there was more and more delinquency and problems between young people from the suburbs and the police. So I conclude that community policing can be a good thing but that it will be very difficult to put it in place because there is no longer any trust.
I agree on another point. That ed learning the job of police officer. I agree with the fact that the police officers who come out of their training are not able to work in neighborhoods like Champigny. When we see that in other countries, they have a training time 2 to 3 times greater than ours, we can understand that the problem is surely there. As they say, the officer who comes out of training will know how to strangle but will not be able to help people in need or to understand them because they will not have acquired the notion of psychologies and sociology.
If we combine these two components, which are, the community police and the increase in training time in terms of psychology and sociology, I think and I am even convinced that the relationship between the police and the people can be to improve.
I also think that the French police are too attached to the state and to politics rather than to the French people.

Nathan Fivet

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pardoux Emma Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:36 pm

This article comes from the website France 24, it's a french television channel which covers international news continuously. He is issued on 13 october 2020, it's a very recent article, and he is entitled "Policing whithout consent: Why french police are ill-equiped to 'reconquer' Paris suburbs.

In the article the writer speak of reconquest. The police must reconquering France is above it is suburb, not in the sense of war or fighting to win but rather an "emotional" reconquest where the French people would turst more and be less afraid of the police. In fact since, the attacks and other acts perceived as racist, civil security is very poorly perceived in recent years, the number of suicides to increase in the brigade due to an overload and an unbearable pressure. The government decide to close the community police stations, out this one allowed to support the big ones so that they are not invaded by various operations. Being going to England few time ago, we can immediately compare the proximity that the police force in this country while knowing how to be respected without touching a weapon or by being threatening, this differs from the training as it is indicated in the article in France we learn to strangle while in other countries we learn mediation. There is a real lack of communication between populations and those who protect them. The police should not be there only to punish, impose fines etc ... They should rather put themselves in the place of their population in order to understand them and therefore to find the best solution that is for them.This may be pushed to the outside or it is the current events that made the security system become as such but there is a real control of it by the government, like a didactorship which I think should ensure that this changes in order to improve the daily life of the "disadvantaged" or suburban people who often have to do with the police, we immediately think that they are troublemakers and that they all have links with the drugs off those fakes sometimes some just try to get by if there would be more listening and solution so there would be less problem.

Pardoux Emma

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by lmaricot Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:31 pm

this article from France 4 and posted on October 13, 2020 threat about an attack by some people on a police office. it's for me something just pretty stupid cause i think the reason is not just like some politics said, a war of territor but i think it's more a way for people to denounce the severals crimes and agressions comitted by the police during last time. Cause in a lot of interview from poor population (majority issues from the immigration) this people didn't feel in security but i can understand the reason of the acts. I can't understand the way to proced, you don't resolve violenve by violence, attack a police office with some fireworks it's really dangerous and give to them a reason to be violent. But i think when you see your family abused by the "representant of the nations",  everybody can understand that someone replied.
To come back on the aggressions, a group of people attacked an police office in champigny sur marne with fireworks and some other projectiles. The only good news in this attack is the fact that nobody has been killed but it was a really stupid act and  a lot of habitants close from the office are schocked and scared. So the governùent called that savage agression, but people who did that think it's rebellion. This action it's just inadmissible but these actions were born because of the police agression.
Every day, we have new movements against police violences who borned like one of the most popular like i think anyone heard the name at least one time, Black lives matter and i think we can totally link the popularity of this movement to the reason why some people did this action at Champigny-sur-Marne.

Last edited by lmaricot on Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:00 pm; edited 2 times in total

lmaricot

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Théo Ben Saada Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:45 pm

This article comes from France 24 and was posted on October 13, 2020, so it is a recent article and which concerns us the future generation. In this article we can understand that the place of the police in France is disputed. What I think is that the government is using the police not just as a shield or as a scapegoat for example during the yellow vests crisis they used the police to arrest them while allowing them to fairly offensive weapons while the yellow vests did not have any, they knew then that problems of violence between the camps would arise and therefore would focus people's attention no longer on the government but on police violence. This is where the whole problem lies, the police should not be working for the government but for the people, their aim being to protect the citizens how can they protect them when the government uses them to reprimand the citizens. This accentuates another problem which is the image of the police by the people, since he works for the government it is normal for the citizens not to feel the police on their side when they should. For me the police should be not an enemy but rather our heroes, they are supposed to protect us and guide us when we the people need help. In addition, not only does the government pass the police off as bad guys but in addition we can not say that it is very grateful to them, because the police need agents and manpower to be able to effectively train young people (who take 8 months today in France unlike 3 years in Germany) and better intervene in regions in difficulty.
We also notice that the French presidents promise things to the police but then ignore them, increasing the frustration of the police and possibly leading to suicides. To conclude, I think the French police have big problems, and we must not reverse the roles, the police must help the people who cannot defend themselves and the powerful people who have the power to help the police must do so. . We have to put ourselves in the place of the other in order to then move forward hand in hand.

Théo Ben Saada

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Boutenet Lardy Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:14 pm

This article was posted on 13/10/2020 by France 24. The subject of this article is the French police, it highlights the difficulties it experiences in these difficult times.
The fact is not new, but we all know that the French police lack resources and recognition. As this article tells us, more and more attacks are directed towards the police stations, in particular in the French suburbs. But the worst is that these people who attack the polica also attack the firefighters, but why the government not punish these malicious people? This is unworthy.
The police are under both pressure from the government but also pressure from the people as during the demonstrations of the yellow vests. We will have to develop more resources for our police, especially material because it is not rare to see unhealthy police stations and police officers lacking equipment. As the article shows us, the example of the renovation of the Champigny sur Marne substation is an example to follow for the other substations in the suburbs.
But the biggest problem is that a lot of politicians say they want to give more resources and restore the blaison of the police but nobody does it, E. Macron the first. For the moment these are only words, we are now waiting for the actions that are urgent. Unfortunately there are more and more police officers dying on the ground but the worst thing is the increase in the number of suicides in this profession. The number of police suicides even exceeds the number of police officers who die in the field.
To counter all these problems, the State will have to put in place several measures to give the police the means it must have to protect our civilians.

Chris Boutenet Lardy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ropied Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:20 pm

This article is a recent article because it was published on 13/10/2020 and it comes from France 24. The main themes of this article are politics and the police through an attack by young people from the suburbs of a police station in Champigny. I will now give you my take on this article.
The main function of the police is to work for the people. Its role is to maintain peace, order and security. To carry out these functions, they have broad powers, but they also have duties and obligations. Indeed, in the performance of their duties, the police are subject to rules of conduct.
This text deals with an attack by young people from the suburbs on a police station in Champigny. It is for me, "stupid" (and still I weigh my words) to realize this even if I think it was a way for its people to denounce the crimes and assaults committed by the police or also when the police question more black or Arab people on the pretext that they are not French when they are wrong. But for me, that does not express anything to accept their action because we do not resolve violence by violence, it will only make things worse.
As said before, I find that the police should not be there only to punish or even impose fines. It must rather put itself in the shoes of its population in order to understand it and therefore to find the best possible solution for it, even if in some cases I understand that it is complicated for them because they are subjected to the actions of politicians or other and therefore cannot do anything.
We are now going to talk about the different police problems because there are quite a few of them. Indeed, we know that there is a large understaffing in the French police, fewer and fewer people want to join the police because of not being respected (and in particular in the suburbs, like the attack that we have just discussed for example), to have an overload of work (as is currently the case) and which can therefore lead to depression, or even worse, suicides.

Ropied

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Teillet Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:50 pm

This article comes from France 24 and is named « Policing without consent : Why french police are ill-equiped to ‘reconquer’ Paris surburs. The main subject is the conflict between suburban youth and the french police.
The problems raised are the relationships between suburban youth and the french police, the method employed by the police (sometimes using repression rather than crime prevention) and the learning methods, and finally, the mentality of the population and politics.

I’m going to explain my opinion about that.
First of all, I think that the most important thing to change is the mentality, as Mr Roché said « French recruits receive eight months of training - enough to practice strangulation but not to learn mediation », there is a big problem here because the goal of the police is to protect without hurting anyone, so without mediation there is absolutely no peace.
The confidence is the key, everyone should not be afraid of the police, everyone should trust them. But confidence works in both ways, suburban youths should not use drugs and obviously respect the rules, so the police can trust them and there is no conflict.
But it is also a problem about politics and history, the police should not manage these problems alone, I think the president and politicians should talk about that more frequently and maybe change the rules by finding a common ground.

Then, about conflits about racism, I can’t accept that and no one should tolerate this because the color skin is not a reason to be discriminated. For example, you must have heard about it, recently in the USA black people were killed while they had no weapon but police officers killed them.
It is a great example of the mediation that the police should learn, because of these murders the racism between white and black people is strenghtened and unfortunately, is not likely to change right away.

Finally, politicians and the president should really support the police, we can talk about the yellow jackets, the number of police officers killed or injured in combat increased sharply in 2018 because of this movement. But the police has nothing to do with it, it's the state's fault. So, we can understand that the police is sick of it but it is not a reason to attack people and the population should be more respectful about them and struggle with the state.

Paul Teillet

Back to top Go down

Post by BABEAU Clémence Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:59 pm

This article was published not long ago, on October 13, on the newspaper France 24. In this article, we talk about the violence that reigns between the police and young people from underprivileged suburbs of France and more particularly the commune of Champigny-sur-Marne. He indeed evokes the attack which took place against his new police station but also other altercations which occurred.
For me, a police officer should not be confronted with such violence and acts, and unfortunately, according to the latest study by the National Delinquency Observatory, the number of police officers killed or injured in combat has increased sharply since 2018. Which is absolutely not normal. The police are under the authority of the Ministry of the interior, and for me, they are under a lot of pressure from the government. Police officers serve the state when they should serve and support the people. Their aim is to protect the citizens, not to go to "war" with them. But I also think that for this case, in this article, the young people are at fault and I think more that by doing these acts of violence, they want to attack the government and not the police themselves.
On the one hand, I can understand all the same the young people of the suburbs, without excusing them, because they are in a disadvantaged municipality and they are fed up with living in precariousness for the most part, but this is not a reason again to go after the police like they did.
I agree on the fact that the police, during certain arrest are sometimes violent also, that they do not do things correctly and that they should not react like that either. But not all police are the same. We must not generalize, nor stigmatize them.
In suburbs like this, drug trafficking is very present, and the police are trying to stop it and that is why young people are not happy too and come up against the police.
Finally, I think that all this violence must stop between young people from the suburbs and the police, so that the police can deak with subjects such as attacks and insteas they with rebuild their premises because of young people.

BABEAU Clémence

Back to top Go down

Post by Romain Robert Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:29 pm

the article talks about police violence in France, carried out in underprivileged suburbs (here journalists take the example of a particular suburb
but just to have a concrete case). Because indeed we know all police violence occurs everywhere and not just in the suburbs. But it is in the suburbs that
violence makes the most noise.
Nowadays and in culture, the French are still unhappy with the state, each has their own reasons.
Unfortunately for them, but the police have the role of state representative in the streets. And we see a lot of police violence during demonstrations against the state.
They are the first on the field during these scenes which are already violent in themselves (a lot of damage). And so to protect, the police will have to stop this violence.
They will therefore initially, impose themselves against the demonstrators and proceed to arrests. The problems arise at this precise moment. At the time of the arrests. It's here
that have seen many videos of violent arrests. But how do you expect the arrest to be not violent when it takes place in an atmosphere of violence?
In addition to that, people do not let this happen during arrests but unfortunately the police must take the upper hand to be able to control the person. What appears to
the exterior extremely violent.
And the problem is that when watching the videos, we only remember the violence in itself without the mood of the moment, nor without knowing what happened before.
So we're going to say "the police are super violent, look!" without necessarily putting it in their place.
There is therefore in France, a general vision of violent police officers, we will therefore focus on the violence of the police officers and therefore have hatred against them, even before they act.
So the person who gets arrested is going to become mean to protect himself from the thought he has about the police. By becoming mean they will provoke the police, who to take
above, will have to impose themselves and this is where we will see them violent. And suddenly we are going to create a loop, since we see that it is violence, we will be violent with them, and therefore
they're going to get really violent.
But there are also police officers who do unforgivable and inexplicable acts, the problem is that they are not fired.

Romain Robert

Back to top Go down

Post by aperri25 Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:01 pm

This is an article published recently (13/10/2020) in the newspaper France 24 which has the title "Policing without consent: Why French police are ill-equipped to‘ reconquer ’Paris suburbs". This is an exciting article that highlights a topic on long-standing issues. Namely the conflict between police and young people from the suburbs.
I have a very shared opinion on this subject. On the one hand I wonder why is there so much problem in these suburbs?
For me it is suburb its most often put on the quotation by the government, it is district are disadvantaged districts especially at the school level. For me, there is not enough in place to help young people to be able to create their own identity. Instead we let them go to drugs or whatever, and we end up rejecting them and calling them a thug and as a union representative declares, the police are the "last bastion of the republic" through this sentence I I have the impression that there is no other way out of the police force than police violence while there is always a solution even for someone to fall into drugs, alcohol ... There are too many stereotypes about the suburbs who say that all suburbs are dangerous but this is the last recent example during the confinement of young people from the suburbs to race people at risk from their suburbs.
Afterwards I have another opinion which contrasts with the first one, this opinion is in favor of the police officer who sometimes suffer from great violence, of the police officer who are hit or thrown, precisely at the present time.
I watch a report on M6 who talk about these problem. Police officers are now afraid to go to the suburbs where they do not feel safe even with their weapons so to go in the direction of the title of the article yes the police are poorly equipped because they suffer too much violence without being able to respond but if we equip the police better, it is necessary that it is for their protection is so that the police officers use them at the right time and not for nothing, because all the suburbs are not dangerous all the people of suburbs are not bad.

aperri25

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bedon hugo Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:23 am

This article published by the newspaper France 24 on 10/13/2020 presents an attack made by young people from the suburbs in Champigny sur Marne (Paris). This attack identifies a problem with the police. According to some analysts the problem comes from the government.
Indeed to give a little news I saw an article yesterday on the "Charente libre". A man who had been drinking and driving without a license assaulted a police officer following his arrest. After 24 hours in police custody, the man is now free and will have to appear before a judge in June. So to have assaulted a police officer and made several other offenses you have to wait 6 months to be judged. I find that it is much too lax to convince people not to commit an offense. I can understand that the police feel discouraged if they do their jobs but behind the law don't punish these men or punish them too lightly.
In the 24 hour article we also hear about police suicides. It's awful to see that. It still shows a big problem in the police. I find that today this profession is too little valued and is often singled out because they are supposed to represent the law. So they are most often targeted.
I know a policeman and honestly it should not be easy every day he tells me about times where they are followed out of the police station and then be insulted or even his boss who really advises him not to live in the same city than the police station because it can be too dangerous if people find his address.
The government should do something to make the police feel unsafe I know it's easier said than done but 300 words is too little to debate this subject it's a shame because I like discuss this a lot because it is news and the article on france 24 is very interesting to see certain things.
I have already exceeded the number of words I'm sorry but I would like to say that inevitably following certain police errors and certain acts of violence that we can see as during the yellow vests. People are bound to get on their nerves, but there are clearly some things not to do. The people's side for their reasons but the police also the two sides must be heard to really put an end to acts like those

Bedon hugo

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by camille crochet Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:53 pm

This article was posted by the newspaper France 24 on October 13. This article talks about the confrontation of the French police with young people from the most disadvantaged suburbs of France.
I think policing today is a dangerous profession. If we take the example given in the article, a police station in a Parisian suburb (Champigny-sur-Marne) had to do 4,4 million euros of work to protect itself from the attacks they suffer quite regularly because, according to the most recent study of the the National Observatory of Delinquency (ONDRP), the number of police officers killed or wounded in combat increased sharply in 2018. This kind of attacks often take place in disadvantaged suburbs and during demonstrations such as the "Gilets jaunes" for example. Unfortunately it is often that the perpetrators of these acts remain unknown and therefore have not judged themselves for their actions. Even though these attacks are increasingly being filmed and posted on social networks.
These attacks are in the news but we could also talk about police violence, maybe they are the result of these attacks that the police are undergoing but that is not a reason to do so much damage. I find that this article also focuses on politics. There is the intervention of great politicians (Sarkosy, Darmanin) maybe the youth from the suburbs attack the police to indirectly affect the government? For me they report this kind of attack too much to politics and drug trafficking, these young people just want to have fun (even if there’s nothing funny in it) or then claim causes (but there are other ways much less violent)

camille crochet

Back to top Go down

Post by Landry NAULEAU Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:00 pm

This article was posted by France 24 on October 13. The article talk about an attack by some people on a police office, a confrontation between young people from a disadvantaged suburbs in France.
Nowadays in France we can note many disagreements every day with the police and the state and it's necessary to say than everyone has their reasons for disagreeing.
The most recurring problems who from to the suburbs with the police are often linked to more or less serious offenses, the trafficking of illicit products etc...
On the other hand, in my opinion the police are also wrong, all too often they do not take into account the situation of certain young people, arrest and control as they want people who do not necessarily have links with this type of business, all this in relation to their appearance, their place of residence, and their environment where they grow up, and even for their skin color for some idiot of this society.
These inconveniences that take place too often give way to provocation from young people of suburbs, which gives the police an additional reason to control, to check without obvious reasons.

The new generations do not evolve differently because they have seen their elders behave in this way with the police and this isn't an example for all the other generations to come. On the other hand, the police should present themselves with evidence for each altercation, each control, and become aware of the situation of some people they question, otherwise mentalities will never change.

Landry NAULEAU

Back to top Go down

Post by Luca Maroleau Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:41 pm

First of all i would like to say this article was very interesting as more as it gives to us different points of view, which enriches what it has to say.
Anyway.
Let me draw your attention on the main subject of this article, "the conflict between law enforcement and suburban residents".
Through it, we can see government inconsistencies about the subject of the suburb.
I just would like to take a step aside to say that I don't want to throw the stone at either side I think that the problem comes from both sides and that to solve it the both side has to do a step towards the other.
So, i sometimes i understand the policemen who are put to the test every year and especially since the first attacks which jostle france and had induced the plan vigipirate, as more as we can add the people whith yellow safety vest who create riots in the street. Who want to suffer that ? Nobody... But I don't think that forgives some overflows, they have to control themselves and especially some of them should stop doing facial offenses. And however that increase the altercations between police officers and young people from the suburbs which are increasingly violent.
Furthermore and unfortunatelly the access to weapons is getting easier and easier. Contrary to the access at the education wich is harder and not enough correct for the young. Which in many cases prevents perfect social integration.
Finally, I am pretty sure if you have a tv in your home you have already seen a report about the suburb. These reports in which we follow a police brigade demonising suburban youth and reducing them to common vermin. I don't want to look like a conspiracy theorist, but I have the impression that the sole purpose of these programmes is to increase stigmatisation and racism in France.

Luca Maroleau

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jonas Jamai Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:06 pm

This article is quite interesting just by the title and the idea there is behind. With this title we have the impression that the French police is not equipped correctly to repost.
On this article talk about an attack on a police station by young people. They used firework to defend them self or to attack, according to our opinion. For me they attacked this police station. But I think they just wanted to passe a massage. That they don’t like them because of all the pain they inflict the France pollution during the different demonstration. Like the “gilet jaune”.
But for me we accuse to much they police officers because they just do their job most of the time and now, we have a really bad image of them. But we must remind our self that if they were not here, there will be much more violence in our would.
For me there are other ways to pass a message, we don’t need to attack a police station for this.
I also think that the violence in the American police affected and had a big impact on the image we have of the police in the world. After it’s a great thing that we see the way that the police treat people. It’s the first step to change it.
It’s a very hard subject to talk because it’s hard to not take place, but I’m for the police, but not the ways they use their force. It’s inadmissible that they do that, but they are still important in our society.

jonas Jamai

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by clémence.varin Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:41 pm

This article comes from the website France 24, it's a french television channel which covers international news continuously. He is issued on 13 october 2020, it's a very recent article, and he is entitled "Policing whithout consent: Why french police are ill-equiped to 'reconquer' Paris suburbs.In my opinion, there will always be one person who will disagree with what is happening.
Here, the subject is the police. For my part, I think we are quite happy when there are events that only the police are able to act (for example during terrorist attacks...). Indeed, I think that the police are under a real pressure so their actions can sometimes be taken quickly and therefore not put everyone in agreement. In addition, they do a dangerous job which can leave them with physical as well as psychological after-effects.
Moreover, I think that many citizens do not accept the fact that the police can use weapons or deterrents during demonstrations. But if they didn't have all that, how could they deal with the breakers? Indeed, in the last few years we have seen many videos showing police officers "mistreating" men and women for no real reason. But here again we don't know what orders were put in place. Who decides to act like this? Why do they do it?
The article exposes another problem: the police and the suburbs. There is a real rivalry between the two. The police consider suburban youth to be "rougher and more hostile". But the suburban youth, on the other hand, see the police as "enemies".
Unfortunately these conflicts are now ingrained in the way of life, so it is really complicated to change this vision of things. Moreover, I think that his conflicts reflect a sad reality between politics and citizens. Here the people in the suburbs have a problem with the police because they have a problem with the state and the rulers.

clémence.varin

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down