UP English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Week 4 Mistakes

+15
colineg
Amina
gwen
val_labeguere
Nawel
floriendive
Ismail Benlemlih
AlexisC
Eva Armand
Florian D.
salomekj
MeganeC
leaguilloteau01
camilleb
Admin
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Week 4 Mistakes Empty Week 4 Mistakes

Post by Admin Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:26 am

anecdotes personal or not....

Last edited by Admin on Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Week 4 Mistakes Empty Re: Week 4 Mistakes

Post by camilleb Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:36 pm

Mistakes, a word with different meaning, we can talk about the mistakes at school, the mistakes in our personal life (for example believing in some people) or also mistakes as stupid things we did when we were young (or not).

So, let’s talk about funny mistakes that members of my family did years ago. Believe me it was very funny at moment, I hope it will be too now.
It was in 2015 I think, during Christmas, we were giving each other presents.  It was my grandpa’s turn; he gave her his present. She opened it. It was a round yellow plate. First she was happy because she needed one and then she turned the plate and it was writing “doggy”. When I saw that, I burst out laughing. I explain them the meaning of the word and they also laughed. The present of my grandpa for my grandma was a dish for dogs. The scene was very funny, I swear.

The year after I offered a clock. To all appearances a good present but he forgot to look at the color of the clock. The clock was white with a Labrador and pink pawprint. My grand father felt really bad and he throw the clock away.

That is the reason why each year I go with my grand father to find a present for my grandmother.

camilleb

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:38 pm

camilleb wrote:Mistakes, a word with different meaning, we can talk about the mistakes at school, the mistakes in our personal life (for example believing in some people) or also mistakes as stupid things we did when we were young (or not).

So, let’s talk about funny mistakes that members of my family did years ago. Believe me it was very funny at moment, I hope it will be too now.  
It was in 2015 I think, during Christmas, we were giving each other presents.  It was my grandpa’s turn; he gave her his present. She opened it. It was a round yellow plate. First she was happy because she needed one and then she turned the plate and it was writing “doggy”. When I saw that, I burst out laughing. I explain them the meaning of the word and they also laughed. The present of my grandpa for my grandma was a dish for dogs. The scene was very funny, I swear.

The year after I offered a clock. To all appearances a good present but he forgot to look at the color of the clock. The clock was white with a Labrador and pink pawprint. My grand father felt really bad and he throw the clock away.

That is the reason why each year I go with my grand father to find a present for my grandmother.

Is your grandfather a vet? clown
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by leaguilloteau01 Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:21 pm

Everybody know the fear of making mistakes, and I could tell you a lot about me as I am a very clumsy person! Sometimes is bad but sometimes is really funny, of course I won’t tell you the worst because is very embarrassing ahah!

“Funny” mistakes I often make are in public transports, 2 years ago I decided leaving France for the amazing adventure of Aupair. I had prepared my journey very carefully as it always happen something to me and it was also my first time taking the train so I was scared.

First step: the airplane, everything good, no problem, second step: the bus to get at the train station, also good, not late, perfect timing (well I took a long time to be sure it was the right train, I asked like 3 different people).

The train left the railway station, two hours of travel, I knew I had to get off after “Newcastle” station but I wasn’t sure if it was the next stop or the following one. I stayed aware to hear “Duram” but as you can imagine I did not understand the English pronunciation and the noticeboard of the station was behind me.

Once I realized that I had to get off, the time to take my two suitcases and my bag I missed the stop. At that moment my host mom called me telling me “Hi Léa I can’t see you and the train is leaving now, where are you…?”. “Well…, I missed the stop I’m so sorry, what should I do know? Heeeeelp” (half in French, half in English of course).

This is the kind of mistakes you always remember and that you won’t do again.
leaguilloteau01
leaguilloteau01

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:25 am

leaguilloteau01 wrote:
Everybody know the fear of making mistakes, and I could tell you a lot about me as I am a very clumsy person! Sometimes is bad but sometimes is really funny, of course I won’t tell you the worst because is very embarrassing ahah!

“Funny” mistakes I often make are in public transports, 2 years ago I decided leaving France for the amazing adventure of Aupair. I had prepared my journey very carefully as it always happen something to me and it was also my first time taking the train so I was scared.

First step: the airplane, everything good, no problem, second step: the bus to get at the train station, also good, not late, perfect timing (well I took a long time to be sure it was the right train, I asked like 3 different people).

The train left the railway station, two hours of travel, I knew I had to get off after “Newcastle” station but I wasn’t sure if it was the next stop or the following one. I stayed aware to hear “Duram” but as you can imagine I did not understand the English pronunciation and the noticeboard of the station was behind me.

Once I realized that I had to get off, the time to take my two suitcases and my bag I missed the stop. At that moment my host mom called me telling me “Hi Léa I can’t see you and the train is leaving now, where are you…?”. “Well…, I missed the stop I’m so sorry, what should I do know? Heeeeelp” (half in French, half in English of course).

This is the kind of mistakes you always remember and that you won’t do again.

haha good start.

And yes the accent is strong in the North East.
Admin
Admin
Admin

leaguilloteau01 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MeganeC Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:04 am

Honestly, the only big thing coming to my mind thinking about mistakes is this endless year. 2020 has to be a huge mistake! I mean, look at the world right now: people feel scared, angry and powerless. We are struck by a deadly epidemic which is not ready to go away, condemned to stay at home again (which was quite fun the first time, but is not anymore) and last but not least, terrorism rises and hits our country one more time. People live in constant fear, this year more than others. And we need not to give up and to take action to put an end to these two scourges.

MeganeC

Admin, floriendive and salomekj like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by salomekj Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:25 pm

I don't know what to say about this subject because, like Camille said, the word mistake has many meanings. As my point of vue, a mistake is not something bad. It's a lesson, an experience which allow us to grow because they have consequences in our life. According to the Cambridge dictionnary it's "an action, decision or judgement that produces an unwanted or unintentional result". Mistakes are constructive because they allow us to improve ourselves. And for this we must be able to recognize our mistakes, to be aware of them and to accept them.

Now, I’ll tell you one of my biggest shame... The day where I made the mistake of not asking my teacher if I could go to the toilets... It was in elementary school. We were at the gym, sitting in front of the teacher who explained us the instructions. And I had a big urge to pee but I was very shy and I didn't want to interrupt my teacher. She was talking for a long time and I couldn’t hold it back anymore. I peed my pants... My mistake that day was not daring to interrupt my teacher.

salomekj

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:41 am

salomekj wrote:I don't know what to say about this subject because, like Camille said, the word mistake has many meanings. As my point of vue, a mistake is not something bad. It's a lesson, an experience which allow us to grow because they have consequences in our life. According to the Cambridge dictionnary it's "an action, decision or judgement that produces an unwanted or unintentional result". Mistakes are constructive because they allow us to improve ourselves. And for this we must be able to recognize our mistakes, to be aware of them and to accept them.

Now, I’ll tell you one of my biggest shame... The day where I made the mistake of not asking my teacher if I could go to the toilets... It was in elementary school. We were at the gym, sitting in front of the teacher who explained us the instructions. And I had a big urge to pee but I was very shy and I didn't want to interrupt my teacher. She was talking for a long time and I couldn’t hold it back anymore. I peed my pants... My mistake that day was not daring to interrupt my teacher.

Have you learned from that mistake? Laughing
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Florian D. Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:09 pm

Once upon a time, a hero who never did a mistake... Do you believe this story ? Personally, i don't. 

Someone who doesn't commit a mistake is someone who have nothing else to learn about : to express this point of view with more details, it's like you beat the final boss on a video game and you just ended the game. There is no more thing to do than just remove the disc of the Playstation and tidy it up. 

The thing that i want to discuss with all of you is something that many people told me in face to face or on the media. When you want to open a business, failure is not seen as the same in USA than in France for example. In France, someone who did mistake with is previous company and who wants to open a new one will be consider as a bad company director because he earned another business but it was unsuccessfull. That's the difference between some way to think proper to different countries. In USA, your different failure will determined your capacity to moving forward, to continue even if you did some mistakes in the past, they really consider that you learn from your previous experience and you are available to manage another business which will be more successful than the previous one. 

I don't really know if this difference still exist between this two countries and if it is a european vision of the entrepreneurship or if it is a "Fake News"  Question

Florian D.

floriendive likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:30 pm

I think there is definitely a difference between US and French entrepreneurship but also between UK and French. We probably all agree that mistakes and failure are human and something that we learn from but some forms of business failure that are allowed shouldn't be acceptable in my opinion specifically those that hurt people. I detest the way that people and companies can "live the high life" and then declare bankruptcy only to open up again a short while later. Debts need to be paid and the lesson in this case is that they don't need to be.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Eva Armand Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:46 pm

Mistakes, a word we have all certainly used before. And yes, they are part of our lives. As a human being, it is difficult not to make them. Perhaps through our relationships, individually through bad actions... which always cause inconvenience. Most of the time, we regret, we wish to go back and correct what has been done, in order to achieve the desired result. The problem is that going back on what has happened is impossible. It is possible to correct the broken pots, sometimes completely, often only a little... So it is important to say to yourself, what can I do to make the situation more positive? Yes, it is quite possible to profit from a mistake. It makes the situation less unhappy, it allows you to move forward to prevent it from happening again. To do this, we can say things like, "I have weaknesses, I'm not perfect, I forgive myself", "I don't make mistakes often", "What happened makes me learn", "It won't happen again"…

Eva Armand

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexisC Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:50 pm

Today, let's not talk too much, let's talk well.

It was me who proposed this subject, but as I write this text I am thinking that perhaps it was a mistake.
Errors are not what makes us human in a world where man and machine was in competition with each other ?

For me, mistakes are wonderful opportunities to learn more about ourselves and sometimes that puts me in funny situations.

The day before yesterday, I walk into a shop, I talk to a person who was folding pants, I tell him I'm looking for dark jeans, he replies that he's looking for suit trousers. A little bit disappointed and surprised by his answer I look at him strangely.  
Then a salesman comes up to us and says "can I help you gentlemen? “

A little embarrassed I realize that I had taken the customer for a salesman.

I've already experienced the opposite situation: a woman comes to me for advice but I don't work in the shop. I didn't tell her anything and I played the salesman. It's a lot of fun for me.

As I grew up I learned to use my mistakes as life lessons. Besides, only those who do nothing never make mistakes.
AlexisC
AlexisC

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:21 pm

Great pic Alexis
Admin
Admin
Admin

AlexisC likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ismail Benlemlih Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:58 pm

Since i had 12 years old, every 31/12/N, i start thinking about my mistakes that i did, i wanted to reach a degree of maturity early, i wanted to become an old person.
when i talk about mistakes, i mean everything that i did and i felt angry.
every year i do not repeat the same mistakes of N-1, i felt better and better confident.
I've got my baccalaureate and i started studiying international trade, so one of mistakes that i avoided doing it are consumer mistakes, like not fall into the traps of traders, i trie not to become a poor consumer, poor mean that that i can be influenced easily
others mistakes of spelling, i try to read books in french because i've just started learn it 2 years ago, english i want to improve myself also, do you have a funny solution!Very Happy

Ismail Benlemlih

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by floriendive Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:46 pm

Of course, I make mistakes like everyone, but I usually don't remember them. I think it's a way for my brain to forget bad things that I did... What a clever bastard.

Here are some of the mistakes that I remember I did :

- I often make mistakes while I am speaking and writing English, and I like when people are correcting me as soon as I say/do the mistake. 🎓📚
- When I was 10 or so, I played a game with my cousins that consisted in throwing a piece of wood in the air and catching it before it drops on the ground. We did that successfully a couple of times, until when I received it right on my head. I didn't feel pain, but when I felt the blood running down from my hair, I fainted. I was more fright than real harm, but I will always remember this and I'm heal now. 💀🩸
- I sometimes park my car in the city center without paying the ticket machine. This is bad because I have to pay the fine.
- I drink a lot when I party, that itself is not a mistake in the contrary. But calling my mom at 3AM asking her to put my cat on the phone because I miss him which it's definitely not a desperate way to tell her I miss her as well, is one of them. 🍸😺
- I usually forget to take a coat when I'm going out, this a mistake because I get sick all the time. *Ouuuuh it's getting cold these days!* ❄☃

I hope you guys are all doing great during this quarantine, I can't wait to see you when all this shitstorm end 😍😍
floriendive
floriendive

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:40 pm

I like the cat one. Laughing
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nawel Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:56 pm

To be honest, I am not very inspired about this topic because I never make mistakes as I am so perfect ☺
More seriously, everybody make mistakes and personally I am trying to learn from my mistakes instead of complaining about it. Life is an experience and you have to make mistakes to learn things, to understand and to progress. I was not thinking like that a few years ago but now I realized that we don't have any time to lose complaining and focusing on mistakes we made. That's why today I can say that I don't regret anything in my life.

Nawel

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by val_labeguere Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:39 pm

Contrary to the other subjects of the last weeks I have to admit that I'm not too inspired by this subject ! To be honest I always try to focus on my future rather than my past, this is my "philosophy of life" so I don't really remember any big mistakes I made in my life. Overall I have managed to do everything I wanted in my life, for now, and I hope to continue like that !

Then of course my life hasn't been perfect and if I had to name one big mistake I've made in my life it's that I have chosen to study law after obtaining my baccalaureate. From the first six months I understood that law was not for me and I lost a year in this formation for almost nothing... Luckily this bad experience did not discourage me, on the contrary I learned a lot from this mistake and I was able to reorient myself effectively the next year in economy management. That's why it's always important to learn from your mistakes in order to progress in your life.

val_labeguere

Admin and camilleb like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gwen Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:21 pm

So mistakes, it can be a lot of things, I’m not going to talk about my mistakes. But I think everyone did mistakes in their life, no matter what, we all have something that we would did differently. I think mistakes helps to grow and see the world differently. We can quote Albert Einstein “Whoever has never made a mistake has probably never tried anything new.” I agree with him, because if you do everything that you know, you probably won’t do mistakes but you won’t learn something new, you won’t grow up. That’s why we need to try anything new, and it’s ok if we made mistakes, if we failed, that’s good so we can learn new thing in our life and doing better next times.

gwen

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Amina Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:21 pm

The first mistake that comes to my mind, it’s the decision of distance learning in our training courses. I'm not really a fan of this system because it's much less practical and effective for learning. It is difficult to stay focused in front of a screen for hours, and communication is not smooth. The mistake lies above all in the fact that the CEPE is a small establishment in which we are very few, compared to a high school for example. Moreover, we always keep the same seats and the same room. It’s therefore a shame to make a generalization for all students in France when the risks are not the same everywhere…

Amina

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by colineg Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:37 pm

Well John I made a mistake just yesterday when I was cooking some cookies. Normally the recipe is simple and I manage to succeed them. But not yesterday unfortunately.
To make cookies you need sugar, flour, soft butter, one egg, vanilla, and a little bit of baking soda.
But I’ve made a mistake. I didn’t use soft butter, I used melted butter.

Let me explain, I didn’t used melted butter on purpose. I didn’t had patience and I didn’t let the butter soften. It was too hard so I decided to put it on the microwave for a few seconds. But I let it too long and the butter was melted. 
It is not good to use melted butter for cookies. I continue anyway and they did not cook well.Crying or Very sad

colineg

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by camilleb Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:12 pm

Admin wrote:
camilleb wrote:Mistakes, a word with different meaning, we can talk about the mistakes at school, the mistakes in our personal life (for example believing in some people) or also mistakes as stupid things we did when we were young (or not).

Is your grandfather a vet? clown

no ahaha he is a plumber Smile

camilleb

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ZakariaEL Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:57 pm

Since the creation of the humankind, mistakes have always been on their DNA. Mistakes can provoke some troubles, on the person who did it or to the people who experienced the mistake. So, if someone did a mistake, instead of yelling at him or betting him or making the situation more stressful and complicate everything , people need to keep their calm, which is something not easy for most of the people nowadays, and try to find a solution in a peaceful way and try to teach him that the mistake he did is something that he should not do in the future because firstly he is hurting himself and secondly hurts also the people around him whether directly or indirectly. Violence don’t resolve anything, in the contrary, it increases the problem and what the mistake could have been something insignificant become a big issue.
Well, unfortunately everyone does mistakes in his life but in reality, if you have the power of forgiveness, you have won everything because your soul will always be relieved and free!

ZakariaEL

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by LauraD Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:34 pm

I’m not going to talk about my personal mistakes, not because I never made mistakes, but because I don’t have a precise example right now. So I prefer to say what I think about mistake in general. Make a mistake can be scary for a lot of people including me and often, you don’t want to make them. But I think that sometimes, it’s the best way to learn.
Of courses, some of them can be serious of irreparable so I’m not going to talk about this one but some smalls mistakes are good to teach us not to do the same thing over and over again. I think that we should not be afraid by make one and that we should try to learn from them and not get stuck on a small unimportant one.

LauraD

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Alix Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:40 pm

I think this is the worst subject I could write about cause I don’t know what to say about it and even still there, at the last moment I still don’t know what to say.
I think mistake is a word with full of definition and aspect. Mistake that you do when you are young have less impact then when you grow up. There is little mistake and big mistake.
I do mistake as everybody but until know I don’t think I did something very bad. I did crazy and stupid things, and when I think about I keep telling me I was really stupid but nothing which would hurt me. Now, I think I am more reflective and I become more aware of things.
But still mistakes are important to do, if you don’t I think you don’t learn and you don’t have story to tell when you growing up

Alix

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next