UP English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

APP Pierre-Louis

2 posters

Go down

APP Pierre-Louis Empty APP Pierre-Louis

Post by Pierre-Louis Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:45 pm

This summer I read my girlfriend's M.A. thesis. It deals with British History in the seventeenth century. It is about a witch trial in Lancaster. It was interesting because she studied different notions around this trial. Indeed, she decided to introduce witchcraft, and more precisely history of witchcraft in England, different from European witchcraft. In European countries, especially Spain, France and Germany, there was the Inquisition, and way more trials and executions than on the isle. So she decided to focus on the study of English witchcraft. Then she analysed the political aspect of the 1612 trial. Acts and laws were passed under the Tudor dynasty and reinforced under James Ist of England who already fought witchcraft in Scotland. Moreover, Lancashire was perceived as the home for catholic recusants (at this time, England was protestant, and more precisely Anglican). Thus, the religious aspect was very important in this trial because it was used as another proof of witchcraft. This particularity also acted as propaganda. The witches are known as the Pendle witches, because they lived in the forest of Pendle (in Lancashire). Another notion I thought was interesting was how the defendants accused each other throughout the trial, and what's even more interesting is that they were part of the same family. Finally, she decided to introduce the theme of male witches in England, because in this trial there was one man accused of witchcraft, which was unusual but still happened.

Pierre-Louis

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

APP Pierre-Louis Empty Re: APP Pierre-Louis

Post by Admin Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:00 am

Thanks for that. I remember the Pendle witches from when I lived in England but I didn't know there was a man. I always put this down to poverty.

Here's a clip that sort of agrees with me:

Here's a much longer programme on it, probably of no interest to you:

Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Pierre-Louis Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:20 pm

APP 2

For this new topic I will talk about Christmas holidays. First, this holiday season will be quite different from the others. Because of the health crisis, we are not allowed to go out yet, so the holiday season feels sad. We don't know when life will be back to normal again, so for now we just have Christmas movies on Tv to set the mood of the season. Moreover, for the holidays I would like to go to Marseille and celebrate Christmas there. Unfortunately I don't know if people will be allowed to travel again for this period. Even Christmas markets were cancelled to prevent health risks, and I think that's a pity since I like spending some time there. If I am able to go to Marseille, I know I will keep busy. I will visit some places I couldn't last time I went, I will meet new people, I will buy gifts, and honestly I'll just enjoy the atmosphere of the city since it is different from here. It will also be the first time I'll celebrate Christmas without my family, but I'll still be surrounded by good people. Also, i don't know what will be my Christmas gifts, I can't wait to know what will be under the tree this year! But i surely know what I will give this year but it's a secret !

Pierre-Louis

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pierre-Louis Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:32 pm

APP 3

I will now talk about the actual confinement or quarantine. I understand that it is for everyone's benefit, though a lot of people disagree. Yet, I feel sorry for restaurants and such businesses because a lot of them will have to close forever since they lost money and cannot get back on their feet. It is difficult for everyone, especially for people who are quarantined with bad people. For example, we can think about battered women who might suffer even more than usually. We can also be sad for people who can't go visit those who are in hospitals. Yes it is difficult for students, and even more for teachers, but we should also think about those people who suffer, and we should offer them support as much as we can. Other people might lose their work too, people who work alone, freelances, people in bankrupt businesses... For now, we can only wait for the next announcement about our situation, and then we will know if the situation got better or not. We also don't know if the situation will get bad again in 2021 and if we will have to experience all of this again. Ignorance and uncertainty are stressful but I hope it will get better.

Pierre-Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:38 am

Pierre-Louis wrote:APP 2

For this new topic I will talk about Christmas holidays. First, this holiday season will be quite different from the others. Because of the health crisis, we are not allowed to go out yet, so the holiday season feels sad. We don't know when life will be back to normal again, so for now we just have Christmas movies on Tv to set the mood of the season. Moreover, for the holidays I would like to go to Marseille and celebrate Christmas there. Unfortunately I don't know if people will be allowed to travel again for this period. Even Christmas markets were cancelled to prevent health risks, and I think that's a pity since I like spending some time there. If I am able to go to Marseille, I know I will keep busy. I will visit some places I couldn't last time I went, I will meet new people, I will buy gifts, and honestly I'll just enjoy the atmosphere of the city since it is different from here. It will also be the first time I'll celebrate Christmas without my family, but I'll still be surrounded by good people. Also, i don't know what will be my Christmas gifts, I can't wait to know what will be under the tree this year! But i surely know what I will give this year but it's a secret !

too early for Christmas talk. santa

What's your link to Marseille?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:42 am

Pierre-Louis wrote:APP 3

I will now talk about the actual confinement or quarantine. I understand that it is for everyone's benefit, though a lot of people disagree. Yet, I feel sorry for restaurants and such businesses because a lot of them will have to close forever since they lost money and cannot get back on their feet. It is difficult for everyone, especially for people who are quarantined with bad people. For example, we can think about battered women who might suffer even more than usually. We can also be sad for people who can't go visit those who are in hospitals. Yes it is difficult for students, and even more for teachers, but we should also think about those people who suffer, and we should offer them support as much as we can. Other people might lose their work too, people who work alone, freelances, people in bankrupt businesses... For now, we can only wait for the next announcement about our situation, and then we will know if the situation got better or not. We also don't know if the situation will get bad again in 2021 and if we will have to experience all of this again. Ignorance and uncertainty are stressful but I hope it will get better.

Yeah I worry for some families as the violence must be a lot higher with the inability of people to "escape" from each other added to the lack of opportunity to drink etc... outside the house.

I guess we'll open everything up again in January and then at some time have another health crisis. I suppose Covid will play itself out over the next year but will there be another virulent strain or a different virus in the near future. It's likely.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down