UP English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The difference between today's and old's cartoons

+11
Nawel
LauraD
Ismail Benlemlih
Eva Armand
Florian D.
floriendive
val_labeguere
Amina
camilleb
AlexisC
leaguilloteau01
15 posters

Go down

The difference between today's and old's cartoons Empty The difference between today's and old's cartoons

Post by leaguilloteau01 Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:19 pm

Let us know what do you think about new cartoons ? Laughing
leaguilloteau01
leaguilloteau01

Back to top Go down

The difference between today's and old's cartoons Empty Re: The difference between today's and old's cartoons

Post by AlexisC Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:27 pm

Very cool subject, I would have liked to discuss it with you during the course.

To begin, I don't like people who say it was better before but it was better before.

When I was little (in 1960 Razz ) we had a lot of good cartoons. I think to the old Batman, the razmocket, the ninja turtles, etc... The drawings were so beautiful, and the scenarios were amazing.

One day, I was taking the train to Montpellier and I started talking to the person in front of me. He was the manager of an animation studio (I don't remember which one), he had worked on: Les zinzins de l'espace, Bob l'éponge and Oggy et les cafards. He used to tell me that cartoons had changed a lot. For example, when he worked on Bob l'éponge, his team did each part of the sets by hand drawing. Now with the new 3D cartoons nothing is the same. First of all, he told me that the atmosphere in animation studios is not the same as it was in the 90s. In addition, many cartoons are now made in Taiwan and Asian countries where employees can work 10 hours a day doing the same tasks.

I think that some of today's cartoons are very well made but 3D makes them all look more or less the same (even Oui-Oui has it's 3D version now).

Too much nostalgia in this subject !!!
AlexisC
AlexisC

Admin and leaguilloteau01 like this post

Back to top Go down

The difference between today's and old's cartoons Empty Re: The difference between today's and old's cartoons

Post by camilleb Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:57 am

I would love to discuss about this subject for hours, but I only have few lines to talk about it.
When I was a kid, I wasn’t addicted to cartoon but almost. My parents were shopkeepers and I lived upstairs so during the week, the tv was like my nanny. I loved and I still love cartoon, and I watched it on different channel. First on TIJI, then on playhouse Disney (the actual Disney junior) and last Disney channel. When I was little my favourite carton was, of course, the Teletubbies and after that I can’t say there are too many (like Hannah Montana…). Thanks to the platform Disney +, I can watch again so of them and I am so happy ! For example, Hannah Montana, The wizard of Waverly Place, the Suit life of Zack and Cody etc. and this time I watch it in English 😊

But I rather prefer my generation of cartoon (end of 90 to 2000’) than this one. Our generation of cartoon was authentic and it was drawing , not 3D characters. I am sad to see what my children would watch (ant it would be different than this generation).

As said Alexis, even OUI OUI is in 3D I hate that, all of our cartoon in 3D it is so sad, even Bob the builder ...

I am very nostalgic about this period.

camilleb

Back to top Go down

Post by Amina Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:43 am

I really liked cartoons when I was little. I think they have changed a lot. Well, I don’t watch as many of them I used to but I think that the old’s cartoons have something more, in terms of stories and drawing. Whether it’s the ones that are on TV every day, or even the Disneys, they used to be classics, now they have less interest. I'm talking globally, because some of them stand out.

Amina

leaguilloteau01 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by val_labeguere Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:13 pm

When I see the cartoons my little sister watched a few years ago and when I compare them with the ones I watched before I find that it was much better in the past ! I find the new cartoons more boring compared to thos that I watched before because the scenario is less and less important, graphism in 3D are awful and they are very "superficial" in my opinion.
For example, when i was younger, i watched a lot Galactik Football and even if it was only a cartoon about football the scenario was very interesting, with a lot of topics covered and with interesting characters. Same for Foot 2 rue, it was very good in the past but producers decided to make a new version of this show called "Foot 2 Rue Extrem" with 3d Graphism and boring characters and the result is awful ! So I totally agree with Alexis when he says that 3d cartoons make them look all the same. It's probably cheaper to animate like that but the result is very disappointing.

Anyway i know it's "cliche" to say that it was "better before" but, in my case, i must admit that cartoons were much better before compared to now. Before cartoons had a real moral to pass on to children and now they are just completely "empty" and uninspired.

val_labeguere

Back to top Go down

Post by floriendive Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:52 pm

For everyone saying that the new cartoons are flat and boring, let me show you how wrong and ignorant you are!
First of all, let's remember how stupid our cartoons were, Oggy et les cafards, les Zinzins de l'espace (sorry Alexis), the razmocket, were hideous and stupid, yet funny.
The difference between today's and old's cartoons 747edba4-4cc8-cafa-0ee6-5bd4f634140e?t=1544610935693
Ew! 🤐
The difference between today's and old's cartoons 1826168
Ew! 🤢
The difference between today's and old's cartoons Les-razmoket-aura-son-reboot-cinema-une-nouvelle-saison-television
Ew! 🤮

I recently found all the episode of Totally Spies on Youtube and rewatched them.. I loved this series and I must admit it's really good, but I noticed only recently how sexist this show was 😮😮 This cartoon presents the lives of three female students on secret missions around the world. Sam, Alex and Clover are also preoccupied with their appearance, seduction and shopping, activities that sometimes distract them from their secret missions.

These independent and active young women seem liberated and in control of their lives, at least on the surface. However, they often confess at the last moment their weakness and submission to their boss. In this respect, some of the Spies are portrayed as irrational consumers. The female characters consume in a much more impulsive, even uncontrollable way. These young spies are clever, but they still have to respect the canons of beauty to face difficulties with charm. This series is just reinforcing gender stereotypes.
The difference between today's and old's cartoons Accros-du-shopping
I now understand why there's still sexism from our generation, it's because of those regressive cartoons... 😶😶

Now let's see how are the cartoons nowadays...
Steven Universe : The show tells the story of a young boy, Steven Universe, who lives with the "Crystal Gems" (magical, humanoid aliens named Garnet, Amethyst, and Pearl) in the fictional town of Beach City. Steven, who is half-Gem, half-human, has adventures with his friends and helps the Gems to protect the world. The show is very beautiful, the songs are amazing, and it is really appreciated by adult also because of its "double reading".. It deals with important themes: mourning, loneliness, love, self-confidence, depression, acceptance of self and others. The series is feminist and LGBT-friendly (one of the main character is lesbian). Without being political, this show helps the children and also the adults to.. live.
The difference between today's and old's cartoons 1439506308 The difference between today's and old's cartoons StevenThe difference between today's and old's cartoons Steven_Universe
Here's a music video to show you the music and the beautiful animation (skip at 0'58" if you don't want to be spoiled)

Ok this show should already prove you how awsome the cartoons are nowadays ! But if you want some more, check :
Adventure Time
The difference between today's and old's cartoons 3289
Hilda (a british netflix original series)
The difference between today's and old's cartoons 80115346_StoryArt_1536x864.0
Over the garden wall (very creepy but very cute and good!)
The difference between today's and old's cartoons Over2 The difference between today's and old's cartoons 2656
floriendive
floriendive

Back to top Go down

Post by Florian D. Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:53 pm

What a beautiful subject you made for us ! Everyone is nostalgic about cartoons and I think some of our watch cartoons yet, because there is no age to watch them !

I saw that everyone have a lot to say about this subject, especially Florian B. ahah, but in my opinion you are really hard to the old's cartoons  Crying or Very sad. Of course, a lot of things change in the society and as you said, I saw some things or sentences which can be shocking for our now, but this is not in every episode and every time. You talked about Totally Spies and the sexism underlying which can appear when you watch the series and I agree with this, but don't you think that they create a new cartoon in which we can find 3 girls who are the main caracters and above all there are spies ! I think that is one of the first cartoon which show action with womens who are main caracters and which is like by the little girls and boys  Smile

About the new cartoons, I'm not hostile because it is normal that the drawing change because of the passing time. I saw some new cartoons and I liked some of them, especially one with a dog and a cat which is named "Taffy" .The difference between today's and old's cartoons Taffy

Also, I really watch Manga when I was little as Naruto, Olive and Tom or others and it was really cool too !

Florian D.

Admin, floriendive and leaguilloteau01 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Eva Armand Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:17 pm

I like today's cartoons, but I prefer the ones from before. For me, what I appreciate about the new ones is the opening on very interesting subjects to deal with. For example, I saw the last Pixar "Soul", during the holidays, and I liked it very much because it deals with the search for identity, and the meaning we give to our lives. Today's graphics can be of exceptional quality. However, I sometimes regret the authenticity of the drawings of the time. I find the old ones more touching, they make me dream much more. Even if I remain a fan of cartoons, I don't have the same look at the new ones, I grew up with the old ones.

Eva Armand

Back to top Go down

Post by Ismail Benlemlih Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:44 pm

Very nice subject, when i was young i liked all cartouns because of the songs that they use and also good ideas like tom and jerry but now, i think because of technologie , firms start to use cartoons to influence needs of children , one positive thing is that the quality of image:face: What a Face has becamed better

Ismail Benlemlih

Back to top Go down

Post by LauraD Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:02 pm

When I was young, I loved cartoons and I watched that every morning on TV. I think The Totally spies was my favourite ! But honestly, I don’t really like new cartoons. At least, the new versions of old cartoons like Dora or Scooby Doo… This version is so weird i n terms of drawing essentially. I suppose that it’s just because I use’d to the old ones but I think that I’d ever get used to it. As for the new cartoons, I still like the new Disney or Pixar for example and I still watch them but only the new ones with new stories.

LauraD

Back to top Go down

Post by Nawel Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:06 pm

I understand people who say that it was better before but I don't agree 100% because when I was young, I didn't like old cartoons because the drawings and the colors seemed 'aged' and sometimes even sad. Today, the new generation's children can feel the same with cartoons we were watching at the same age. I think it's a good thing that cartoons progress and adapt to each new generation. For instance, when I was watching the Simpsons, I didn't like when it was old episodes because the design was not as good as in recent episodes.
Sometimes when I watch TV I come across new versions of cartoons like the Totally Spies and I'm like "WTF is that???". But for my 9 year-old sister it looks amazing !
It can be strange for us to see how cartoons we grew up with have changed but that's it we are getting old... Very Happy But as a Disney addict, I admit that I would be HORRIFIED to see new versions of classics... By the way, one of my favorites Disney is Monster Inc., I know it by heart and when I was younger I watched it everyday (and I still watch it). Look at how cute they are !!!
The difference between today's and old's cartoons Mron15

Nawel

Back to top Go down

Post by ZakariaEL Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:41 pm

It’s simple. In general, people who grow up during a generation of cartoons will always find those cartoons beautiful. It’s a question of decade and in which medium of cartoons they grow up. At the end, we can just say that every cartoon made, is beautiful in the eyes of someone because it’s a question of perception.

ZakariaEL

Back to top Go down

Post by Alix Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:09 pm

I don’t watch cartoons very much and even when I was a kid I didn’t like it very much apart the teletubbies (Lala my bestie), foot 2 rue, blanche neige and Marsupilami. I think cartoons are very well constructed and behind each of the mis a moral that each interprets in a different way. I know these thee cartoons have occupied places important to me at different ages. However, for a lot of cartoons of our generation and those of today, I find them very unacceptable and very cliché.

Alix

Back to top Go down

Post by MeganeC Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:31 pm

I was and still am a great fan of cartoons. When I was younger, I had my "magical girls period", my "Pokemon" period, etc... I liked the fantasy universes in which we followed cool characters, and above all, imaginary and fantastic creatures that I loved. These worlds inspired me to draw characters, to write stories and made the dreamer I am today.
My tastes have evolved : I now watch more mature and deep-thinking cartoons (even if I still enjoy some old funny and silly cartoons) but I still prefer hand-drawn cartoons, which feel more artistic and natural to me. I can't help but quoting the cartoons by the famous Japanese Ghibli Studios (if we can count them as cartoons) which are real masterpieces to me. I had watched some when I was younger but I feel like I wasn't grown enough to understand them fully and without being scared. These are traditionally-produced animation films with a dreamlike and poetic atmosphere but really engaged to criticize our society through metaphors. I could talk about it for hours and even got tattooed from one of them. I think we should all watch them to think about life and our society, to learn that good is not fully good (and inside out), and to watch them several times during our lifetime to feel a different meaning each time. Am I doing too much ? I don't care, it's so worth it !

MeganeC

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:23 pm

camilleb wrote:

As said Alexis, even OUI OUI is in 3D I hate that, all of our cartoon in 3D it is so sad, even Bob the builder ...

I am very nostalgic about this period.

This character is called "Noddy" in English. Do you know why?

Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:27 pm

Alix wrote:I don’t watch cartoons very much and even when I was a kid I didn’t like it very much apart the teletubbies (Lala my bestie), foot 2 rue, blanche neige and Marsupilami. I think cartoons are very well constructed and behind each of the mis a moral that each interprets in a different way. I know these thee cartoons have occupied places important to me at different ages. However, for a lot of cartoons of our generation and those of today, I find them very unacceptable and very cliché.

I love it when a student airs a contrary view and argues it well. Is teletubbies really a "cartoon" or simply a children's tv programme?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:43 pm

I have to agree with you all when you say we normally prefer the cartoons that we grew up with. Not because they are better but because of what they meant to us.

When I was young TV was very different in fact we only had 3 tv channels and children's programmes were on at set times, mid/late afternoon (end of school until the news at 6) and Saturdays (all morning and a few in the afternoon after the sport). Therefore we had less choice of cartoon but we also built up a more loyal following for it.

I loved Scooby Doo and Top cat and Wacky Races to name three along with Batman and Marvel heroes who were less on the TV and more readily available in comics. The sector was dominated by disney, Warner Brothers and Hanna Barbera and must have been difficult for small independents to break into the market. In those days you mostly saw Tom and Jerry, Mickey Mouse, Donald duck etc...

Of course the advantage of being a parent is that you get to watch another era of cartoons with your children and then again with your grandchildren. I truly loved Teenage mutant hero turtles and Dragonball Z alongside dexter and 2 stupid dogs. The amazing selection of cartoons for my children was extraordinary and of course whole channels of cartoons began to appear. Opening the market to smaller productions of high and low quality.

Nowadays I find myself watching PJ Masks or Barbie (I have granddaughters) occasionally and it's important to know what the in toons are so that you can communicate with the young ones.
Admin
Admin
Admin

floriendive and leaguilloteau01 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by floriendive Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:14 am

Admin wrote:I truly loved Teenage mutant hero turtles and Dragonball Z alongside dexter and 2 stupid dogs. The amazing selection of cartoons for my children was extraordinary and of course whole channels of cartoons began to appear. Opening the market to smaller productions of high and low quality.

Nowadays I find myself watching PJ Masks or Barbie (I have granddaughters) occasionally and it's important to know what the in toons are so that you can communicate with the young ones.

I'm really happy you liked Dragon Ball 😍 I love this anime too!

If you are looking for a cartoons to show your granddaughters, I advise you Steven Universe 🤗
floriendive
floriendive

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down