UP English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Week 5 Group 2 Books

+13
Hanae Khallouk Temsamani
Kelly Rajaona
Julien LUCAS
SARAH ROI
Nicolas Lecat
Jason MASSIMINO
Imane ZEKHNINI
Léonie
Lacombe Pauline
Mélanie Pecchio
Lucas Lesade
Emma Galan
marie fourgnaud
17 posters

Go down

Week 5 Group 2 Books Empty Week 5 Group 2 Books

Post by Admin Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:34 am

Favourites, the future of books, Fact or fiction, the point of storytelling, young and reading ....
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Week 5 Group 2 Books Empty Re: Week 5 Group 2 Books

Post by marie fourgnaud Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:08 am

Reading is one of my favorite pastimes. Since I was young, I have been taught the taste of reading and the importance of having books close to me, so I read a lot. Every night before bed I read, it’s a ritual. For me books are very important especially for the child because they allow to dream, so to make work the imaginary and promotes grammar and the acquisition of language. I don’t have a favorite book but I like to read the saga Sophie Kinsella’s The Shopaholic because it’s light, no headache and allows you to relax.
I think books have a long future because owning books is part of the culture and it’s impossible to live without books!

marie fourgnaud

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Emma Galan Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:08 pm

A few years ago, I used to read a lot of books. It was one of my hobbies. My favourite literary genres were the fantastic and the sci fi one. Reading allowed me to dream and to imagine brand new adventures in order to escape reality. Today, I don’t really have time to read. I may have it but I prefer watching movies or TV series on Netflix instead. Sometimes when I really enjoy a movie, I happen to buy the book it was inspired from. I like to compare the differences between the two. I did it for “Miss Peregrine home for peculiar children”. Once I read the book, I became addicted to this universe. I have to say that I prefer the relationship between the characters in the original book ( I still don’t understand why they switched the name of some characters in the film ...) but the way Mr. Burton transcribed the story on the screen is amazing. He added some creepy elements and it fits perfectly. Anyway, just to say it is my favourite book.
I don’t think we have the same connection with books as before. Years ago, smartphones were non-existent and so people were reading for entertainment. Now screens are omnipresent and they have become a big part of entertainment. We can even read books on tablets. Stories will always have an important place in our society but I think their support will change. I’m part of the people who prefer to read on paper but I happen to download books on my tablet (because it’s way more convenient).
Emma Galan
Emma Galan

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucas Lesade Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:27 pm

I have always read a lot of books throughout my life, it is probably one of the things I have sacrificed my sleep for, I had to start reading when I was about 9-10 years old, all Shakespeare, with a friend. I gradually moved away from stories, from tales, to science, I was reading about a whole bunch of subjects, quantum physics, mathematics, biology, everything that was possible to read, but over the years I started to read only philosophy, and psychology. I was reading a little about everything in psychology, I was also reading a lot of studies, but they are not in books. As for philosophy, I started by reading everything and then developed a lot of interest for philosophers like Nietzsche or Schopenhauer, and my favorite book is probably "The Antichrist" by Nietzsche. Philosophy and psychology are intrinsically linked in order to understand human nature, contrary, I think, unlike the majority of other readers, I do not dream of history similar to the books I read, I dream of the complexity of human nature. And with time and experience, I hope to be able to say, that my eyes have somehow become a very good "human scanner", mostly thanks to books.
Lucas Lesade
Lucas Lesade

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mélanie Pecchio Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:47 am

Reading is one of my favourite activities. I remember my mother reading stories to my brothers and I every night, so I have fond memories of that.
I have always loved to read, I regret today that I was not given enough opportunity to read during high school. I was in boarding school, and reading was seen by others as either a chore or an anti-social act. We were 24 hours a day with the others, so the only time I could find time to read was before bedtime, but unfortunately the lights went out at 10pm, which did not encourage reading. But now I'm free to read whenever I want.
Since my childhood I have always loved novels, but nowadays I read mainly biographies and classics.
I loved "Wild by Nature" by Sarah Marquis, "Ugly" by Constance Briscoe, "Order to Live: A North Korean Girl's Journey to Freedom" by Yeonmi Park and "Leonardo da Vinci" by Serge Bramly. The advantage of biographies, and especially autobiographies, is that we are immersed in a more or less recent reality where it is possible to experience a particular situation through the author's point of view, to learn the details and to learn from them.
For the classics it's a bit the same pattern, I don't want to read just for pleasure, but also to learn things to improve myself. I also like to have the choice to read according to my mood, so I read several books at the same time. I have a preference for paper books, but sometimes I read digital versions when I can't find them. I think the vast majority prefer to read on paper, digital will never replace the paper book.

Mélanie Pecchio

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Lacombe Pauline Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:39 pm

For me reading it’s a passion, it is one of my only hobbies. This passion started when I was young, at secondary school. My grandmother had noticed that I devoured books and she got into the habit of offering me it every time we saw each other. I would spend hours reading. I stopped reading in high school, only to take it up again during the first quarantine. It's been over a year since I've rediscovered the desire and the pleasure to read, and I can't do without. It's a real addiction. I've gotten into the habit of following booktok’s and booksta’s influencers so that I always have access to new recommendations. My bank account doesn't live this passion at the same way of me... books are extremely expensive and it has become a real budget. Actually, I can't help walking into the first bookstore I see and buy a book or two. These purchases have also imposed the purchase of a bigger library... However, I try to regulate these compulsive purchases since I got an e-book reader, which allows me to have books in digital format. Also I try to buy a lot of second-hand books on Vinted or in dedicated stores.

Reading is for me a way to decompress, to think about something else, to feel strong emotions and especially to be able to imagine the characters, the settings... I love to be surprised, when the author doesn't do what I expected, when he surprises me. I have many favorite books... I can't choose one in particular, but if I had to quote an author maybe I would cite the name of Coleen Hoover who writes novels with plot twists always unexpected.
So, I read many genres, except classic literature which I didn’t like. The only similitud of my different readings is the next fact : I don’t read the synopsis of the book to keep the suspense.

Reading and the publishing world in general have take a part in my daily life that I could totally work in this field.

Lacombe Pauline

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Léonie Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:22 am

To be honest, I am not really a fan of reading books, or especially novels. The only novels I have read are the one we had to read for school. The worst novel I have read for a class is called Madame Bovary, by Gustave Flaubert. It was a very long ordeal to read it to the end. But I had to, if I want to have a good mark for the test about the book. On the contrary, a book that I really liked to read for school is Les Misérables by Victor Hugo. I have read this book two times. The first, I was too young to really understand the story and what the characters each represent. Then my second reading permits me to truly enjoy the book and to immerse myself in the history and lives of the characters.
For a few years now, I have been interested in reading manga. It has such less words to read, I know, but draws permits another way of immersion in the history. My favourite manga is One Piece. It was the first anime that I really enjoyed as a kid so I wanted to have the books for reading and for my own mangas collection.

Léonie

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Imane ZEKHNINI Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:43 pm

Before I start, I would like to say that I did not vote for this topic, because I have literally nothing to say about it. I used to love reading books, but once I discovered netflix, I stopped reading and started watching movies and TV shows, because watching is more enjoyable and less tiring than reading for me. God I feel like an illiterate American teenager right now pale . Sometimes I read webtoons if they look interesting, I prefer when there is romance because I think that stories get more exciting when there is drama in them.
That is all I guess, I hope that next week's subject will be about something that I can talk about.
Imane ZEKHNINI
Imane ZEKHNINI

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason MASSIMINO Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:17 am

I'm not gonna write a lot this week because this subject is far from being my favorite. The last time I red and finished a book was probably when I was around fourteen. I used to like reading when I was in middle school. I was reading a lot of sci-fi and fantasy book stories. When I entered high school, I completely stopped reading and I never started again. Thank you Sarah for proposing this subject, you made me feel really stupid.

Jason MASSIMINO

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicolas Lecat Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:38 pm

for me reading, it's one of my favorites pastime. I think reading it's good for the vocabulary. Also, i read a lot of biography, for me it's very inspiring. Futhermore, i read many styles of book like learning book, history book and novel too. For me, the tradirional book will disappear and will be remplaced by the Ebook. I think, it's bad because a beautiful book it's always better than a phone screen. I prefer books with a real hystory because, i can project myself.

Nicolas Lecat

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Week 5 Group 2 Books Empty starting beef with jason

Post by SARAH ROI Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:55 pm

I've always enjoyed reading from a young age. One of my favourite book is The Perfume by Patrick Suskind because it is dark and twisted but also contains an interesting story and great descriptions. The last book I read was Normal People by Sally Rooney and I thought it was really good, it kind of stuck with me. I don't know which book I'll read next, but I think that Fall is the perfect season to read poetry and short stories, so I might look towards this genre.
I have a collection of books from the edition Penguin that publishes classic litterature that I buy everytime I travel in a capital city. Some people collect magnets on their fridge from their travels, I collect books.
P.S : Jason, if you don't want to feel stupid, don't be lol it's not that hard i promise
SARAH ROI
SARAH ROI

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Julien LUCAS Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:50 pm

To be honest I don’t read that much novels but when I start to read one, I can’t stop and I read 4 or 5 hours but the last one was almost 3 years ago. Now I only read manga and webtoon. My favorite manga is "Kingdom" It’s a historical manga during the warring states period in the actual Chine. It talk about tactical war and there is lot of volumes (currently 60 but the author planned more than 100). I don’t read lot of scan (manga online) because I prefer buy to read them and that’s why I don’t read regularly.
When i was a child I read lot of comic book like "Ducobu" ,"Gaston Lagaffe", "Tom-tom et Nana"...
More recently (not really it was 7 years ago) i read "L'étranger" by Albert Camus and i really liked it, except this one, no books really interessed me like this.

Julien LUCAS

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelly Rajaona Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:24 pm

I don't have anything to say this week i'm not a big reader at all, although i've tried many times to force myself into it. It's not that i don't like to, but i just can't. Many reasons could be, maybe i've just never red a book that i'm really interrested in. Anyway, i am making an effort to write and to reach a certain number of words and show that i still do my homeworks even when i don't have anything to say on the topic. Also, i'll add that if my life was turned into a book i swear i would have J K Rolling's fame right now, what a tragedy, so many ups and downs and a fabulous pathetic anti-hero.
Kelly Rajaona
Kelly Rajaona

Admin and Hanae Khallouk Temsamani like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanae Khallouk Temsamani Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:25 pm

What a topic for this week ! Unfortunately I have nothing to say since I’m not a big fan of reading, and I always fall asleep while reading. For me, a lot of things in this life are overrated, and reading is one of them (Personal opinion). I feel like people always associate reading books with intellectual level or intelligence. But actually i think, there is no link. It’s just a way to learn or to discover new topics, but it’s NOT the only way of course !
I used to read when I was young (I was a big fan of Guillaume MUSSO), but not anymore. Once I discovered a lot of activities much funnier and less boring I stopped reading.

Hanae Khallouk Temsamani

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Amandine Thenault Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:49 pm

Reading is one of my favorite activities. I first became interested in books in high school when i joined a book club with my friends. I first read in french and then in english. I have some favorite authors, such as Charles Bukowski, Sartre, Duras, Austen, Hardy but especially Bukowski. My favorite book is The Truth About Harry Quebert Affair by Joel Dicker. It is about a thousand pages long. It's a story about a young writer who decides to reunite with his college professor after a few years to help him fight his writer's block. The story takes another unexpected turn when the body of a young girl who disappeared thirty years before is found in the university professor's garden.
I used to read on paper books until i discovered kindles. It is the most useful invention i know. I can store hundreds of books inside and it also helps me read faster since it is a touch screen and there are no pages to turn.
Amandine Thenault
Amandine Thenault

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by psol Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:52 pm

No matter how hard I force myself, I have never managed to take pleasure in reading, whether it be readings forced by school or of my choice, I am bored, time is getting longer and I do not create any link with history. The only reading that attracts me are scientific or historical journals. I grew up with a manga in my hands, whether you like it or not, I think older people have a hard time accepting infatuation that they don't understand. Since I was 5 years old, I read manga, there were only two of us in the schoolyard to read and watch this kind of book, and today he is still one of my best friends. I grew up with this culture, the creation is so vast that the stories to explore are endless, and thanks to all this culture I was able to escape the daily life of adolescence, which has helped me a lot, today I read less manga but I find that when I'm sad it's a source of happiness. There are a lot of manga which marked me but if I had to quote one which touched me recently it would be "rikudo la rage aux poings".

psol

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Amélia TLILI Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:32 am

I love to read! I like different types of books (thrillers, romance novels, autobiographies etc).
I read when I have time. When I take the plane or the train for example.
I also love the magazine "Le Detective", it's a magazine about crime, murder etc.
Reading is very important, it's better than the phone.
I think that books have a future but in a different way. There are more and more audio books or digital books, I think it's a good thing because it's the evolution but nothing beats a book with real pages.

Amélia TLILI

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:18 am

Well it seems this subject really shows diversity, from reading a lot to not at all, from fiction to fact every area covered.

Personally I adore books and reading in general. I read fiction nearly every night before sleeping, I read for hours during the summer sitting next to the river or sea. During the day I like to read news/views online and I spend hours reading every post made on UPEnglish Laughing

Reading fiction gives me the possibility to escape to worlds and situations that I'll never experience in real life, reading facts/comments increases my knowledge and opens my mind to other views. I think I could easily become a recluse from the real world and just read in my own and other people's worlds.

I also like to write and although I adore paper books (and I used to have a massive library) I know use a kindle with pleasure and a laptop (even though I like a real newspaper occasionally).
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Hanae Khallouk Temsamani and Imane ZEKHNINI like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down