UP English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Group B - Discussion 6. Life after Death

+11
Blong
iman ghouzi
Chloé Gailledrat
SALMA FARES
Diana Gashi 1
Amelie Trarieux
Caroline Lemoigne
FLEGEAU PAULINE
Emeline Giffard
Manon Saroul
Admin
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Group B - Discussion 6. Life after Death Empty Group B - Discussion 6. Life after Death

Post by Admin Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:16 pm

It's not that I'm afraid to die,
I just don't want to be there when it happens.
Woody Allen

The annoying thing about being an atheist is
that you'll never have the satifaction of
saying to believers, ‘I told you so.'
Mark Steel

Group B - Discussion 6. Life after Death TerrificNeglectedGourami-size_restricted

Last edited by Admin on Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Group B - Discussion 6. Life after Death Empty Re: Group B - Discussion 6. Life after Death

Post by Manon Saroul Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:03 pm

Hi there !

To be honest, prima facie, i'm not very happy to discuss about this subject ... But, it's true, it could be interesting and very very substantial subject.
Sometimes, you hear or you see something very interesting about this subject.
Life after death is often joined with religion. Indeed, faiths about this subject are very different depending on it. When you unfortunately hear " death as a martyr " in the attacks for exemple, you understand that the vision death is very different from yours.
Even if this subject could interest me because we always want to understand the unknown, it could be afraid too sometimes. I know that some people don't appreciate to talk about this type of thing.
For my part, I prefer to focus me on the present, to try to enjoy the moment without too thinking about the past or the future to find the inner peace and the happiness of the instant.
Like a famous citation said : Carpe Diem !

Manon Saroul

Back to top Go down

Group B - Discussion 6. Life after Death Empty Re: Group B - Discussion 6. Life after Death

Post by Emeline Giffard Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:29 pm

Bouya !

It is indeed a very interesting topic, especially because everyone seems to have they own interpretation about it. Also, it brings up so many questions : what is death ? what is life in the first place ? Are we sure that we ARE alive right now, or are we already dead and in this so called "life after death" ?

I strongly agree with Manon on this point :

Life after death is often joined with religion. Indeed, faiths about this subject are very different depending on it.

This topic is closely tied with religion. Each religion has its own interpretation of it. Hell/Heaven for many religions for example.

Personaly, as I identify as an agnostic, until proven wrong, I think it is impossible for us to know if there is a life after death...for now.

That being said, i really like the idea of reincarnation. I like this concept so much that i wouldn't mind if this is what awaits us after death haha. I would LOVE to reincarnate as a cat or a bird in my next life haha

bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce

PS : John, i would reaaaaally like to know how you did to put an animated picture in your post...I've been trying to do so for weeks but I can't find a way to do it, the gif won't appear in my post xD
Emeline Giffard
Emeline Giffard

Back to top Go down

Post by FLEGEAU PAULINE Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:31 pm

Mark Steel is a lightning person, in fact being an atheist is not really worthy of praise. On one hand, believe in god (no matter the one you believe in) allow you to have a way of life dicted by the religion where this god come from. Generally, religion are based on good values, so faith lead you to be a good person. On the other hand, faith permit you to believe in a life after death. Believers are so relieved of this weight what is death. Last but not least, if there is no god, believers and atheists would finish in the same way. But if religion turns out to be real, believers would finish their existence in heaven while atheist would have lost their bet.
However, since there are as many gods as civilization, how could you possibly be able to chose the right faith?
FLEGEAU PAULINE
FLEGEAU PAULINE

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Lemoigne Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:34 pm

Hi people,

I don't even know why I voted for this topic --"

I agree with Manon and Emeline on the fact that life after death is often linked to religion.

I think that this questioning, comes from the fact that the church/religion, in order to maintain the believing of people, made them "afraid" by saying that if they didn't respect certain things, they would be punished and they wouldn't go to paradise etc.

After all, the questionning of life after death is a personal belief.
But in my opinion, there are more existential questions than this one

Have a good week end

Caroline Lemoigne

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelie Trarieux Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:13 pm

I kind of agree with everyone around here so far. I thought that it could be interesting to see what everyone pictures/believes/wish life would be after death. I know that it's a very personal subject so I understand if people don't want to share too much about it.
Obviously, I have no idea what's life after death. I was educated thinking that it would be Heaven (or hell) but as part of my current reflexion, I would be more up to believe in reincarnation as Emeline.
I would find that fascinating. I have many contradicting opinions about this subject. A part of me thinks that our mind will make us believe what we truly believe, like trick us even dead (even though we have no brain activities). Another part of me believes that there's just nothing. And finally, the largest part of me thinks that we will reincarnate (in other human beings or in animals, I really don't know). I once read something about the fact that our birthmarks could be the mark of where we died in our previous life. I personally have 3, so I love to imagine that I might have died from an overdose, a bullet between the eyes or just cut in half by a bad magician (or literally stabbed in the back by someone, thanks Pauline F for this new way of imaging it).bounce
So yeah that's my view on life after death, in a more general way, I have no fear of death as I live my life fully but I still hope I will get old enough to see my grandchildren playing around me!
If you have any birthmark, let me know how you could have died!!!! Twisted Evil Question
Amelie Trarieux
Amelie Trarieux

Back to top Go down

Post by Diana Gashi 1 Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:46 pm

I agree with girls when they said that life after death sounds with religion, and it does not interest me. I think that in life we must stay in the present and live our life thoroughly, I say that because I know some people don't enjoy their life because they think too much about after, I respect their choice but it will never be mine. So guys, everyone lives the life he wants to live and that it's important for me ! Smile
Finally, I do not believe in life after death or before birth, but I really do not think about it. My present is more important than all these things sorry guys....

Enjoy your life Very Happy

Diana Gashi 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:32 am

I think when we die, that's it. Finished. The end.

Religion uses life after death to control the people.

It might have been more interesting for you to suggest interesting lives after death - they'd probably be as accurate as any other.

By the way if you were re-incarnated what would you like to be? Who would you have liked to have been in a past life?

If you believe in Heaven/Hell - what do you think it is? What do you do?

Would it still be your heaven if your best friend/family are not there?

If there is life after death, what state do we exist in?

So many more interesting questions that can be linked to Death!!!!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SALMA FARES Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:21 pm

Hi everyone,

Answer to this question that everyone is asking for in class last time should be much more complicated than what everyone thinks.
Considering that all the religions in the world speak of the spirituality of human being , surely there will be a life, obviously different from this current life , but something will be there. something higher than the common mortal life.
Death is only a narrow passage through which the physical body can not pass. so I believe in God and I believe that living in this world without perhaps thinking that there is a life after death is like living in this world without destination and hope.
SALMA FARES
SALMA FARES

Back to top Go down

Post by Chloé Gailledrat Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:29 pm

why my post doesn't been sent ??? I wrote a very long speech ! There is a problem in this forum I'm sorry
Chloé Gailledrat
Chloé Gailledrat

Back to top Go down

Post by Chloé Gailledrat Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:51 pm

So Hello Everybody,
I will try to remind what I wrote first.

I'm afraid to die but who is not ? We don't even know what we will find after. Maybe nothing. Maybe a total black because it's finish and you're done. It's so sad to thinking that. But being afraid about Death is normal because we try to control our lives and they're two things we can't control : Time and Death. Death is unfair sometimes taking life of children or people who we take care but God is unfair too, just read the Bible and you'll see.
I agree that Religion uses this fear to contol people and enroll them in. In many religions, if you confess your regrets and errors you will be forgiven but I don't think it's working like this. It's too easy, you will not go to Heaven just because you're a good Christian (for example). You have to be good and act good to others people without expecting taking something in return. Karma is a bitch sometimes. Karma or Death, call it what you want, it's the same idea at the end. We all expecting something after life. I don't believe in God of Heaven of Hell, that kind of things even if I went to Catechism but I just hope my family is happy where they are and that they're proud of me.

I like the Mexican point of view about Death with el Dia de los Muertos. The fact that they pay homage to their families and that souls can visit the real world to be reunited.

If they're an Heaven of Hell, what could seems Hell ? It seems funnier according to me with fire and sex and Satan could be cool as men, he's an angel too after all. But I'm afraid of demons and if they're demons in Hell, they will torture me again and again and I don't want that at all !

I like the idea of reincarnation. I want to be re-incarnated in cat. I could spend my days in sleeping, eating, playing with others cats, making my own life without stress. I like cat's life. And I want to have many lives to realized all my dreams, travel all around the world, meet new people, discover new societies, it's so exciting all possibilities !

Amelie, I have got a birthmark in my ribs, I hope I was a courtesan in a past life ahah ! Maybe I was stabbed too.

So that's it for me, a lot of blabla thing and a lot of Maybe because that's all we can say about death : Maybe.
Chloé Gailledrat
Chloé Gailledrat

Back to top Go down

Post by Chloé Gailledrat Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:53 pm

I want to add that Death is the reason that make life so precious and intense for people and we have to enjoy every minute and every second of our lives, spend time with people we love and don't have any regrets because we live once !
Chloé Gailledrat
Chloé Gailledrat

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:54 pm

Chloé Gailledrat wrote:why my post doesn't been sent ??? I wrote a very long speech ! There is a problem in this forum I'm sorry

Perhaps you took too long to write it.

I don't know.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelie Trarieux Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:23 pm

John do you have any birthmark?

Concerning your different questions:
By the way if you were re-incarnated what would you like to be? Who would you have liked to have been in a past life? I would most likely want to be a human being or a panda. Panda eat a lot, sleep a lot and have fun, plus they're fat and cute so yeah I like that. Also, they seem a bit stupid so I've probably been a panda in a past life...

A few years ago I read a book about re-incarnation where the thing was "heaven" was on an island that you arrive on by boat. You were welcomed by the people you've lost but younger because once on the island, you arrive the age you died and leave as a baby to "go back to the common world". It explained that there were ways to see how your family was doing but watching them would drive you crazy. However you still had a life to live, and you could meet new people and still create new friendships. I must have been around 12 when I've read that book but I found it interesting to see death as a new adventure where you could still meet new people and find the one you loved. Even though it would still face the same things as the fact of saying goodbye (when your grandma is a baby again for exemple)
Amelie Trarieux
Amelie Trarieux

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:38 pm

Amelie Trarieux wrote:John do you have any birthmark?

Concerning your different questions:
By the way if you were re-incarnated what would you like to be? Who would you have liked to have been in a past life? I would most likely want to be a human being or a panda. Panda eat a lot, sleep a lot and have fun, plus they're fat and cute so yeah I like that. Also, they seem a bit stupid so I've probably been a panda in a past life...

A few years ago I read a book about re-incarnation where the thing was "heaven" was on an island that you arrive on by boat. You were welcomed by the people you've lost but younger because once on the island, you arrive the age you died and leave as a baby to "go back to the common world". It explained that there were ways to see how your family was doing but watching them would drive you crazy. However you still had a life to live, and you could meet new people and still create new friendships. I must have been around 12 when I've read that book but I found it interesting to see death as a new adventure where you could still meet new people and find the one you loved. Even though it would still face the same things as the fact of saying goodbye (when your grandma is a baby again for exemple)

Birthmarks - for sure, but no instagram pics! Embarassed

Perhaps a family pet (Dog) - I'm basically lazy and see the great life my dogs have. Maybe a tree - like an English Oak. Long lived and ever watchful out in the fresh air. Maybe a drop of water living through different cycles in different places as the tides/weather took me.

Despite not believing in anything but the end, I obviously understand that we are made of matter and that the universe is contained. therefore in some form I will always live on in an atomical form within various other structures - which is one reason I'd quite like to be dumped in the sea when I die.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chloé Gailledrat Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:44 pm

I readed this book too ! It was a great point of view about death and make me feel better about it. It title is "Une vie ailleurs" and is written by Gabrielle Zevin for those who want to read it too.
Chloé Gailledrat
Chloé Gailledrat

Back to top Go down

Post by iman ghouzi Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:57 pm

Life after death is something hard to explain.
Of course i belive on it and this thanks to my religion. Infact Islam teaches that there is a life after death . People's deeds will be taken into account on the Day of Judgement. The Qur'an states that the good will receive reward, while the bad will receive punishment.
If you think about all the bad people on earth that hurt other people, why should their life ends while they die? Why shouldn't they get the right punishment , if not on earth while they are alive , once they are dead?? all the people that kills million of children and innocent people in Siria,Yemen, Iraq ect.., why shouldn't they be punished ?? and on the other hand , why good people shouldn't they get the right reward after death? if you have been a good person on earth , if you have done good actions i think you deserve a reward and you can get it in your life after death . Belief in life after death is central to the meaning and purpose of most Muslims' lives.
So yes i think it exist and thinking of this, it gives a purpose to my life because i know that i have a destination .
iman ghouzi
iman ghouzi

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Lemoigne Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:41 pm

Admin wrote: By the way if you were re-incarnated what would you like to be?

At first I thought that reincarnation could be nice. I would have liked to reincarnate myself as a cat, wolf or fox. But with hindsight, I believe that maybe we can't choose in what we would like to be reincarnated: animals, plants or whatever it is. Then when I see what human can do or how he is, I think that i wouldn't like to reincarnate myself. Reincarnate me as a cat, to be abandoned, or whatever. To reincarnate myself as a tree to be cut and transformed into paper etc. People only see the positive sides (and it's great, really!!) But unfortunately there are also less friendly sides...

This subject is not very happy Neutral

Caroline Lemoigne

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:48 pm

Caroline Lemoigne wrote:

At first I thought that reincarnation could be nice. I would have liked to reincarnate myself as a cat, wolf or fox. But with hindsight, I believe that maybe we can't choose in what we would like to be reincarnated: animals, plants or whatever it is. Then when I see what human can do or how he is, I think that i wouldn't like to reincarnate myself. Reincarnate me as a cat, to be abandoned, or whatever. To reincarnate myself as a tree to be cut and transformed into paper etc. People only see the positive sides (and it's great, really!!) But unfortunately there are also less friendly sides...

Man is EVIL. FACT.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Emeline Giffard Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:46 pm

Caroline Lemoigne wrote:

Group B - Discussion 6. Life after Death To-be-10

You managed to make me feel sad about reincarnation in just a few sentences....xD
Emeline Giffard
Emeline Giffard

Back to top Go down

Post by Blong Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:01 pm

Hi everyone !

I really don't know what to say about this. This is something that I don't pay attention to. All I can say is from my own experience with my parents' "religion". Hmong people are animists and you have a contact with your relatives who are dead and there is no god. If yes, it's just because I never were really interested in it. To hmong people, they receive three souls when they are born. The first one stays when they die, the second one goes to heaven and the last one is reincanarted in an animal. I have always been living in a place where the religion is important and I never knew what to think about it because I was "occidentalized" and always confronting my culture to the other ones. I think I became atheist after all of this but I still respect hmong people who are doing hmong's ritual.

I am sorry but I don't really know what to say about it and people have already written all the interesting things. This is all for me.
Blong
Blong

Back to top Go down

Post by Clothilde Pluchart Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:37 pm

Hi everyone,

I don't really know what I think about death. I just know that this is the last stage of life on earth.

I have never really been confronted with death in my personal life or I don't remember it (because I was too small).

Some people talk about life after death, but I think it depends on religions and therefore beliefs.

Well, I don't really know what to think about death. I prefer to enjoy the moments with all the people around me rather than think about the purpose of my life that I hope will happen when I am very old.

That's all.

I hope my post wasn't too boring.

Have a good week.
Clothilde Pluchart
Clothilde Pluchart

Back to top Go down

Post by Léanne Imare Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:21 pm

Hello everyone,
What I think about life after death ? First I like to imagine that there is nothing but a white whole. No feelings, no pain, no thinking and no memories which means no regrets.
I really whish death to be the end. Therefore, sometimes I think about reincarnation. But I never can choose what would I like to be. If it's in the future, I definitively don't want to be reincarnated as a human again, because there will be too much technologies and I don't want to live another life working more than living. So the best choice would be to be an animal. REALLY?
I don't think so. Animals have two big choices in life:
- savages ones: survive or be eaten by other (animals + human with gun)
-domesticated ones : have to obey to their master (so no real freedom) and sometimes can be mistreated, abandoned, castrated ( for good or bad reasons) and so on and so on..
So no I can’t think about one thing I would like to be reincarnated in, and I really hope there’s no life after death.
Despite of all, If I had to be reincarnated as a human again, I would like to change my sexuality and gender every time. Be a man, then be bisexual, and after be gay, I would like to try everything!
Léanne Imare
Léanne Imare

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Lemoigne Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:02 pm

Emeline Giffard wrote:
Caroline Lemoigne wrote:

Group B - Discussion 6. Life after Death To-be-10

You managed to make me feel sad about reincarnation in just a few sentences....xD

Sorry Emeline!! Let's say that when we reincarnate as an animal we integrate a good family and if we reincarnate as a plant we are located in an inaccessible place Wink

Caroline Lemoigne

Back to top Go down

Post by Pauline Maurisset Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:49 am

Hi everybody,
Sorry for this late reply, but this subject doesn't interest me at all Rolling Eyes

My opinion on this is that there is no debate behind this question, you can not be right, you can not be wrong.
I think that it is only a question of feeling, even if religion tries to convince us that there is a life after death..

Can't wait last week to have a more interesting subject !

Pauline Maurisset

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next