UP English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weekly Autonomous Work

+27
Clarance de Villiers
Malek.benslimane
Ravahiti
noemie_resclause
Caroline Richard
Pauline Maurisset
Marina Guillon
calberti
Isaure Ayrault-Roy
Léa Aupetit
Léa ABREU
Babis Papageorgiou
Chloé Gailledrat
iman ghouzi
Cédric Bourgeois
sophie_rys
Damaye Alexis
Manon Saroul
Amelie Trarieux
Diana Gashi 1
Emeline Giffard
Meghane Cren
Jordan Besson
ELISANGELA
Caroline Lemoigne
Clothilde Pluchart
Admin
31 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

Weekly Autonomous Work - Page 7 Empty Re: Weekly Autonomous Work

Post by Damaye Alexis Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:28 pm

scratch

Still in my subject "challenging ideas in mental health" that I'm going to resume.  Arrow

About viewing mad people irrational, it's normal. Because they are out of the normal way and act curiously sometimes, the majority of people are seeing them in a weirdly way. But, the behavior of these people makes perfectly sense to them. There is the exemple of a paranoiac guy. If he thinks the FBI wants to kill him, of course he will take some precautions to defend himself, like barricading his door, watching abusively trough his windows etc. But this rationality exists only for him. For other people, his behavior is extremely strange.

It's what the professionals call the "rationality-within-irrationality".

Because of the ways medias introduce mental illness, the general public is often afraid about mentally ill people. They share a lot of prejudices and involve discrimination toward them. Some authors are wondering if the asylums are organised to protect the normal society from the mentally ill people or the other way round. Rolling Eyes

In our societies, rationality and social order are valued particularly highly and its mostly why mentally ill people are often frowned upon. (mal vus)

About drug companies in the mental health field, there is a huge conflict of interest. To keep their business alive, they need ill people. And this is not always coherent with people's interests.

In the 1980s, two facts have been highlighted about the influence of the drug companies. Firstly, they influenced individual psychiatrists's prescribing decisions through huge promotion about their products on conferences they sponsored. Then, drug companies had (and maybe still have) huge importance in the founding of the university research departments and this dependence could lead to bias in their results about the evaluations of the safety and efficacy of the products. Basketball
Damaye Alexis
Damaye Alexis

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:11 pm

Damaye Alexis wrote:  scratch

Still in my subject "challenging ideas in mental health" that I'm going to resume.  Arrow

About viewing mad people irrational, it's normal. Because they are out of the normal way and act curiously sometimes, the majority of people are seeing them in a weirdly way. But, the behavior of these people makes perfectly sense to them. There is the exemple of a paranoiac guy. If he thinks the FBI wants to kill him, of course he will take some precautions to defend himself, like barricading his door, watching abusively trough his windows etc. But this rationality exists only for him. For other people, his behavior is extremely strange.

It's what the professionals call the "rationality-within-irrationality".

Because of the ways medias introduce mental illness, the general public is often afraid about mentally ill people. They share a lot of prejudices and involve discrimination toward them. Some authors are wondering if the asylums are organised to protect the normal society from the mentally ill people or the other way round. Rolling Eyes

In our societies, rationality and social order are valued particularly highly and its mostly why mentally ill people are often frowned upon. (mal vus)

About drug companies in the mental health field, there is a huge conflict of interest. To keep their business alive, they need ill people. And this is not always coherent with people's interests.

In the 1980s, two facts have been highlighted about the influence of the drug companies. Firstly, they influenced individual psychiatrists's prescribing decisions through huge promotion about their products on conferences they sponsored. Then, drug companies had (and maybe still have) huge importance in the founding of the university research departments and this dependence could lead to bias in their results about the evaluations of the safety and efficacy of the products. Basketball

I think a lot of us live in our own logical reality but it isn't the exact same reality as others. does this make us all mentally "ill" to some extent? I know that my reality is different to yours and that it is different to what I thought was reality when I was younger.

The need for private funding in universities is a sad fact given the underfunding from governments. I hope that the abuses casued by this are getting less but I don't know if that is the case.

Our world depends on a social "order" and it is sad that people further away from the medium of the spectrum are cast out or imprisoned whether they are physically dangerous or not. I'm sure the governments of the world are more concerned with guarding their power and not looking for anarchy than they are in the individual's rights.

Vive la difference!
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Clothilde Pluchart Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:45 pm

Admin wrote:
Clothilde Pluchart wrote:Hey, everybody,
Sorry John, I didn't come to class because I'm sick.
But I'm here to post about UPEnglish anyway.

Like every year the World Electronics Show took place in Las Vegas with innovations that are all the stranger than ever, whether for the car, leisure or the home, more connected than ever.
This show is called the Consumer Electronics Show, it was held from 7 to 10 January 2020, and is the world's largest show dedicated to technological innovation.

Here's a small selection of innovations to keep you up to date with technological advances:

- A fragrant alarm clock made in France (Sensorwake): This one helps you fall asleep by diffusing a dry bead perfume that will soothe the room. It also wakes you up with a choice of scents (floral, amber, fruity...). Price 100€. Available end of 2020.

- The Pampers connected layer : This is a sensor to be fixed on a layer. It then records the child's sleeping rhythm but also the humidity level.  As soon as it is too high, the parents receive a notification, to avoid crying and to keep baby's bottom clean. Price: 315€.

- The cushion anti-snoring (Motion Pillow): is an anti-snoring cushion that will adjust its movements to change the position of your head and neck. Connected to a box - which can also recharge your smartphone-, the cushion inflates with air where necessary. Price: 250€.

- The cap for growing hair (HairMax): The Laser 272 PowerFlex promises comfort, quality, flexibility and above all a new mane! Its laser system will stimulate hair production. Price: 1800€.

Lots of other innovations have been discovered at this show, so feel free to have a look.

Bye.

The pampers connected layer could be the perfect christmas present for Olivier next year.

I also saw a 10 second toothbrush by a French startup company.

Hi John,

Why would the connected pampers diaper be the perfect gift for Monsieur Rampnoux? (because he's getting old?)

Bye and have a nice evening Very Happy
Clothilde Pluchart
Clothilde Pluchart

Back to top Go down

Post by Damaye Alexis Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:27 pm

Yes each human has his own reality and this own reality can evolve every day. Like I said in the beginning of my article, people are used to see "normal" reality every day and trough their friendships they surround themselves with people who have similar realities, behaviors, knowledge as them. People are used to make boundaries between what is normal and what is not normal for them. king

And because medias combine violent behaviors, weird behaviors, etc with mentally ill people for generations, I think it's become part of the common "culture" to try to exclude mentally ill people from the others. affraid
Damaye Alexis
Damaye Alexis

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:20 am

Clothilde Pluchart wrote:
Admin wrote:
Clothilde Pluchart wrote:Hey, everybody,
Sorry John, I didn't come to class because I'm sick.
But I'm here to post about UPEnglish anyway.

Like every year the World Electronics Show took place in Las Vegas with innovations that are all the stranger than ever, whether for the car, leisure or the home, more connected than ever.
This show is called the Consumer Electronics Show, it was held from 7 to 10 January 2020, and is the world's largest show dedicated to technological innovation.

Here's a small selection of innovations to keep you up to date with technological advances:

- A fragrant alarm clock made in France (Sensorwake): This one helps you fall asleep by diffusing a dry bead perfume that will soothe the room. It also wakes you up with a choice of scents (floral, amber, fruity...). Price 100€. Available end of 2020.

- The Pampers connected layer : This is a sensor to be fixed on a layer. It then records the child's sleeping rhythm but also the humidity level.  As soon as it is too high, the parents receive a notification, to avoid crying and to keep baby's bottom clean. Price: 315€.

- The cushion anti-snoring (Motion Pillow): is an anti-snoring cushion that will adjust its movements to change the position of your head and neck. Connected to a box - which can also recharge your smartphone-, the cushion inflates with air where necessary. Price: 250€.

- The cap for growing hair (HairMax): The Laser 272 PowerFlex promises comfort, quality, flexibility and above all a new mane! Its laser system will stimulate hair production. Price: 1800€.

Lots of other innovations have been discovered at this show, so feel free to have a look.

Bye.

The pampers connected layer could be the perfect christmas present for Olivier next year.

I also saw a 10 second toothbrush by a French startup company.

Hi John,

Why would the connected pampers diaper be the perfect gift for Monsieur Rampnoux? (because he's getting old?)

Bye and have a nice evening Very Happy

incontinence underwear = Pamper's diaper/nappy Twisted Evil
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Damaye Alexis Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:44 pm

Between the fifties and the sixties there had been a "revolution". From the psychiatric hospitals, the mentally ill people were now able to be free in the society, as long as they took their medications. Before drug treatments there had physical restraint and lobotomy. cyclops

But, as everyone knows, medication has a lot of secondary effects, like apathy, drowsiness (somnolence), memory loss, etc. that are secondary effects of anti psychotics, that are commonly used in case of mental health. In the second part of the twentieth century, medications became more and more prescribed, linked by the fact drug companies said the efficience of the drugs increases with dose, and only the efficience not their side effects affraid

Then, the drug companies created a new category of products : the benzodiazepine tranquilizers, widely used nowadays. They are often prescribed in case of "minor" disorders such as depression, sleep troubles, and anxiety. They had been the target of many detractors, especially on the cases of addiction. These medications are often prescribed for a duration of 1 or 2 months, but many people took them for years and years. Drug companies had also the habit to introduce their new medications like they can cure every disease through an agressive marketing.

And that's all because I ended up my course drunken
Damaye Alexis
Damaye Alexis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7