UP English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Algerian singer

4 posters

Go down

Algerian singer Empty Algerian singer

Post by Admin Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:05 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-africa-50160646/raja-meziane-algerian-unsigned-singer-becomes-sound-of-revolution

I wondered what my North African linked students thought about this and maybe the rest of you too.

Would a French singer backing the yellow jackets or an English Brexit singer be of any importance at all?
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Algerian singer Empty Re: Algerian singer

Post by Emeline Giffard Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:02 pm

Well.

Many French songs are political, and many French singers are not afraid to share their political opinions too (and I am sure it is the same in the United Kingdom). Some are really well-known, others are not. I know that some people might be annoyed when songs become political, but I found it important that artists, who are citizens too, can express what they think of a particular issue in their songs : because they can give light to some problems that we don't talk about.

You can disagree with them. After all, everyone can have their own opinion about political issues. You can also hate them I guess.

But I think it really crosses a line when your songs are being banned because of their message, or when you are pressured to modify your message to favour the government. Clearly, it shows in what kind of environment you are : one in which freedom of speech is not allowed. Basically, a dictatorship.

So, yes, in a way, a song backing the yellow jackets or a song about Brexit would be of importance I think. They would meet huge backlash from people who disagree with these ideologies, but again, they would be the proof that we (still) live in countries where freedom of speech is allowed. Where people can sing about whatever they want to sing. Where they can be a politically engaged singer without fearing to have to flee their home. And where people can listen to whatever they want to listen to.
afro
Emeline Giffard
Emeline Giffard

Back to top Go down

Post by Malek.benslimane Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:51 pm

I totally agree. But I have to say that I don't know this singer and I never saw any of my many algerian freinds post one of his song. Still I think for example that the song "la liberté" of Soolking was more popular among the revolutionaries in Algeria than any other one.
Malek.benslimane
Malek.benslimane

Back to top Go down

Post by farah ayedi Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:24 am

Hello everyone!

I have never heard of this singer or her songs before honestly, but in Tunisia too, before the revolution of january 2011, it was the case of many singers mainly the rap artists who were banned to sing or to publish their songs on Youtube. There was a singer in my city who was arrested in prison because the lyrics of his song against the president and the goverment, and this pushed young people to support him and at the same time to revolutionize against the system and to defend the freedom of speech.
So, I agree like Emeline and Malek, a singer backing the yellow jackets or a song about Brexit would be of importance. But maybe not in the same way because freedom of expression in France or in England is allowed so people can be less influenced.
farah ayedi
farah ayedi

Birthday : 1995-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down