UP English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TV shows to watch in english without subtitles

+5
Maëlle
Marina Di Cocco
Amelie Trarieux
FLEGEAU PAULINE
Clarance de Villiers
9 posters

Go down

TV shows to watch in english without subtitles Empty TV shows to watch in english without subtitles

Post by Clarance de Villiers Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:58 pm

Hi everybody!

I want to create this topic to find new TV shows I can watch in english, but without subtitles!
Until recently, the only TV series I could watch without subtitles was 'Friends'. But my beloved Netflix account recommended me to watch 'Atypical'. It's a great series, I am already at the end of the third season... And great surprise, I don't need subtitles! It's so gratifying!

I tried watching others shows without subtitles but I was frustrated because I didn't understand a lot of things : missing a word or a sentence, yes, missing a whole conversation, uh no!

Have you this kind of series in your repertoire ?

Have a nice evening
Clarance de Villiers
Clarance de Villiers

Back to top Go down

TV shows to watch in english without subtitles Empty Re: TV shows to watch in english without subtitles

Post by FLEGEAU PAULINE Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:05 am

Hiii !! Nice topic !

Hmmmm it depend what you like ^^ for example, I can recommand "The circle", it's a tele reality, quite like many, but talk about group og people, each person are in his/her own room and they create a profil and can talk each other by chat only, so some of them decided to be themself, other... To be someone else !
It's not really complicate to follow, and I think good for your "slang" english about networks and usual for US people, at least I learned some new words (like catfish... But not the "real" term for the fish hahaha) so maybe you will as well Wink (they can speak about fast sometimes...)

FLEGEAU PAULINE
FLEGEAU PAULINE

Back to top Go down

TV shows to watch in english without subtitles Empty Re: TV shows to watch in english without subtitles

Post by Amelie Trarieux Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:22 am

Hi Clarance!
Such a great topic!
I would recommend Brooklyn 99, it's really funny and as it's family-friendly, the vocabulary and the speed at which people talk is ok Smile
You could also like "One day at a time", family-friendly as well, talking about tackling everyday life in the US very nicely and it's really funny. The family is Cuban so they also speak a bit of Spanish but that will be translated!
I don't know if you've tried Lucifer but the vocabulary can be hard at first but then it's the same one through the different seasons so you just need to learn it once.
I have a very long list of series to recommend, it's really my jam so if you need more recommendation don't hesitate to ask Wink (I just don't watch horror/ scary stuff, that you can ask Isaure)
Amelie Trarieux
Amelie Trarieux

Back to top Go down

Post by Marina Di Cocco Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:24 am

Hello Clarance !
Thank you for this topic. Honnestly I can't really help you beacuse i'm still watching series with subtitles Rolling Eyes I didn't try without it yet, but I will.
I watched Lucifer, and as Amelie said, you just have to acclimate to the vocabulary.
In an other category, you have "You". I found the vocabulary very easy, and the subtitles were useless for me.
I'll try to watch friends without subtitles, I think that it's the perfect series to try this ! If you have others series (easy to understand) I will try too!
Marina Di Cocco
Marina Di Cocco

Back to top Go down

Post by Maëlle Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:04 am

Hello Clarance,

Thanks for this topic Smile
I didn't try to watch series without subtitles but as you say Friends is easy for you, maybe you can watch "How I Met Your Mother" which is quite the same kind of sitcom ; a group of friends in New York that you follow throught their life.
I was also used to watch "Once Upon A Time" in english but after the 4th season, I have stopped because it was quite the same flow during the differents episodes buuut you can try it; it borrows elements and characters from Disney and popular Western literature, folklore, and fairy tales. And if you don't want to get into a 7th seasons serie, you can watch the spin-off "Once Upon A Time In Wonderland" consisting of only 13 episodes during which you follow the titular character from Alice in Wonderland Very Happy
I don't now if you like the fairytale "spirit" but for me it was really de-stressing and quite interesting to watch my favorite fairytales in a modern way Wink
Maëlle
Maëlle

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:24 pm

Great question Clarance and I'm sure that your peers will have better answers than me. I'd like to say that using subtitles isn't a crime and as long as you listen in English, you'll improve and eventually you won't read the subtitles. I'm proud of my students watching in English with any subtitles (French, English, Chinese).

I agree with people saying choose a series that interests you. If you like American sitcoms watch American sitcoms, if you like marvel watch marvel, etc...
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Post by sophie_rys Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:54 pm

I totally agree with Maëlle. You should watch "How I Met Your Mother". Personally, every day - as I'm knowing this serie by heart and that I looooove it - I fall asleep in front of to listen to English every night. And they are really understandable and funny. If you like Friends, you'll like HIM too. Even if there is always a rude competition between. You can also watch animated movies, as it is made for children it's easy to understand ! (#DisneyLovers)

Another solution : you can listen to some podcasts on Spotify, YouTube or NPR when you're going to school every morning (that's what I did during a period...). So you're listening to English and learning interesting things. Smile
sophie_rys
sophie_rys

Back to top Go down

Post by Pauline Maurisset Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:08 pm

Hi everybody!

To watch a series in English without subtitles I think it's important to choose a series that you're sure to like.
That means a series that you've already watch (but in French) and that you know by heart.

Personally, I watched desperate housewives again, but this time in English, and it was really cool!

Furthermore, it allows you to rediscover the actors and get to know them better, because it is in their mother tongue that their personality is best revealed!

Smile

Pauline Maurisset

Back to top Go down

Post by farah ayedi Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:42 pm

Hello! Great topic Clarance!

For me, every time I tell myself that I have to try watching series or movies without subtitles, but every time I don't dare because I don't want to not understand passages or conversations that can spoil the film.
I think it's important to start with easy ones but also with series that we like because otherwise we will not continue to do it.
So I will take your proposals, my friends, as Clarance Very Happy
farah ayedi
farah ayedi

Birthday : 1995-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum