UP English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Topic : Death penalty for Session 1

+4
Titouan
Tess
Emmannuelle
Gwenola
8 posters

Go down

Topic : Death penalty for Session 1 Empty Topic : Death penalty for Session 1

Post by Gwenola Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:38 pm

We have chosen this topic because we would like to know if you are for or against the death penalty and your justifications. If you don't have an opinion, please say so and explain why. Thank you !

(By Gwenola,Elsa,Marion R,Lisa,Carole and Auriane)

Gwenola

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Topic : Death penalty for Session 1 Empty Re: Topic : Death penalty for Session 1

Post by Emmannuelle Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:20 pm

I don't have a formal opinion on the subject, I have to admit it.
The problem with justice is that sometimes it is wrong and already an unjustified prison sentence is horrible to conceive but then a death penalty?
The part of me that is for it is the part of me that is empathetic, I cannot imagine the suffering that the relatives of a victim and the same victim must feel and sometimes they must wish for the death of the person at the origin of their misfortune and not for him to be released after 5 or 10 years for "good behavior".
I think the debate should focus more on: is the French justice system or even that of another country infallible? And obviously the answer is no, so maybe there are things to be changed on this point.

Emmannuelle

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Topic : Death penalty for Session 1 Empty Re: Topic : Death penalty for Session 1

Post by Tess Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:01 pm

This question is really difficult for me but I think I have an answer.
The death penalty is for a very radical solution to problems. Indeed, I think that there is a lot to be done at the level of justice (I am talking mainly about France). In recent years I have become aware of certain injustices, of sentences that do not reflect the seriousness of the facts, of major crimes that are hardly punished and personally I find this unacceptable. Rapists, killers who are punished less than thieves or others, I don't conceive it. But that doesn't mean that I am in favour of the death penalty, I put myself in the shoes of the families, of the sisters who suffer this kind of news every day, but the death penalty is not the solution.
I think that the solution lies in the organisation of the French justice system, texts, laws that are better written or better explained.
Moreover, we know that there are tons of problems, anomalies, errors in certain files and it would be unthinkable to kill someone for a crime he did not commit.

Tess

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Titouan Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:17 pm

Hi guys,

this topic is very interesting and hard. At the difference to Emmannuelle (super long name) my opinion is formal. May be because I have philosophical point of view and I don't take the problem of th justice and the French system is bad, narrow, unfair sometimes. But the question is more important that we think : Can someone's life be taken away ? Who is the guys who can decide if someone should die or not ? The is unbelievable for me. Death, or the death penalty in this case, is not the answer to the various judicial problems, despite the crime committed, human beings have their faults and no one can have this right. Definilty, I'm against, and I'll be never agree whatever the case, terrorisme including. To come back to the death penalty is to degrade in the face of the greatest cruelty in this world : to kill. It is to go back years and banalize in the eyes of our children that you can kill someone if they make a mistake.

Bye bye Smile

Titouan

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by coline Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:33 pm

The question about death penalty is really hard!
On one hand, we have victim’s family, who is pained.
And the other hand, we have the criminal, (and his family! We always forget the criminal’s family!). It’s really hard for his family too.
I don’t think we have to decide who have to die.

coline

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Marion.P Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:00 pm

Helloo !
Like a Star @ heaven The fact that the subject of the death sentence is often at the centre of debate is disturbing to me. In fact it has been for years, but to me there should be no debate about it. The death penalty is about sentencing someone to deth after committed a capital crime under his or her own judgment. Yet exercising the death penalty is also about committing a capital crime in the end, by judging that someone deserves to die according to our own criteria of justice. So what then? We condemn a person by performing exactly the same act that we judged reprehensible a few minutes before? It doesn't make any sense.
Yes, there are unforgivable and horrible acts that are committed every day and that create a lot of pain. Acts committed by people who lack of common sense and who surrender to their own sense of justice. However, the same mistakes cannot be repeated by judging that some people deserve to die or not. They deserve to pay for their actions, to live with them forever, and one day either become better or stay forever bad but away from people they might hurt. For me this is justice. Like a Star @ heaven
Marion.P
Marion.P

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by auxane Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:55 pm

the death penalty is a subject that comes up often and that I find worrying.
Beyond killing a human being, I think it's important to consider the fact that all laws have these limits. How can we be sure that we actually execute the perpetrator of such and such a crime? How many innocent people are hanged, wrongly electrocuted?
We cannot even in the name of the law, which otherwise is not infallible, decide the fate of a human being.
Beyond this preoccupying aspect, it is interesting to wonder about this practice which seems to me to be all but human.

auxane

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:28 pm

I'm not surprised that you are all against the death penalty, so I'll give the opposite view. The death penalty is a means of removing people from the earth who have hurt, killed and tortured others. Why should we spend millions of euros/pounds/dollars on these people to house and feed them when they are never going to be productive or helpful to our society? Why spend money on these people that we won't be spending on their victims or the victim's families?

The argument that some innocent people could be killed is a strong and realistic argument but that is a question of our justice systems and law and order. If they are not good then reform them. What right does a murderer have to take the life of their victim? This act should forfeit their own right to live.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down