UP English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

week 9 topic - Strikes and Retirement

+8
Jessica Mauricio
earnau06
Célie Moutot
Axelle Fardeau
AdélaïdeSagnes
Emma Vancostenoble
carolinemaggi
Admin
12 posters

Go down

week 9 topic - Strikes and Retirement Empty week 9 topic - Strikes and Retirement

Post by Admin Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:25 am

Here's the BBC's take this week:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50670613

What do you think about these strikes and strikes in general. What do you think about the retirement problem and pensions?
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

week 9 topic - Strikes and Retirement Empty Re: week 9 topic - Strikes and Retirement

Post by Admin Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:26 am

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

week 9 topic - Strikes and Retirement Empty Re: week 9 topic - Strikes and Retirement

Post by carolinemaggi Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:53 pm

Hello !

First of all, to my mind these strikes about retirement are not "historical" as journalists says. These strikes are not comparable from those in May 68 or 1995 for instance (except if Macron reconsider its decision, but this will not happen I think).
I understand the anger, but whatever the reform results, some people will be disappointed. I think some current system are effectively not up to date. For instance, metro workers' work are not as hard as once. On the paper, the Macron's reform seems to favour equality, but equality is not appreciated from everyone... We should not forget that if we are here today, is not only Macron's fault but it's a result from previous politics. But the rebellion fall on the current president.

I agree to be on strike, it's a right, and we should use it. However, for instance with SNCF strikers, I think there is another way for them to express their anger. They're angry with the state and not against its citizens, that's why I don't understand why they don't let free trains instead of "move" their anger to people by stopping circulation.

Yesterday I've watch a political show, they talked about what the Minister of Education said : "We are in a society where no one trusts each other, in a society of mistrust". I agree his point of view and in my opinion, things will hardly change with this state of mind. This quotation from the article support his point of view: "A recent poll concluded that 75% of people thought that pension reforms were necessary, but that only a third believed the government could deliver them".

On the other hand, strikes - mainly those from yellow vests- gave to birth to "breakers". I totally disagree this state of "mind"...

See u soon
carolinemaggi
carolinemaggi

Back to top Go down

Post by Emma Vancostenoble Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:53 pm

Hi there,

I guess strikes and complaining is kinda French. But what's happening is primary, because it concerns everybody.
The snag that every strikers forget the fact that's it's really almost improbable that the government cancel this reform. We saw it with the yellow vests...
Certainly, strikes create social movements, cohesion and sharing, but I'm kinda pessimistic about the following of this strike.
Btw I support them, they're motivated, prepared they carry high the thought of people who think silently.
That's not a big deal to find alternatives for transport, it's an occasion to create new social connections, to help each other. Wink

I don't know what to add because Caroline said almost everything, and she's right !

Hope to see u on thursday, because you're one of the only who use the car to come here. And we miss u last thursday, it was really annoying Laughing
Emma Vancostenoble
Emma Vancostenoble

Back to top Go down

Post by AdélaïdeSagnes Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:54 pm

Hello, to see these videos really make me angry. Mister Macron want to create a unified system to take off the little « advantages » some people have. Like people from SNCF…
For mister Macron, it’s not a trouble to let advantage to another part of the population when he removed the ISF.

For retirement they will put the level down. Great.
This guy love to play with words. He will not put retirement later than 62 years old BUT if you get retired at 62 you will earn a ridiculous percentage from your salary. So, unless we can live on love alone we will work more. But we should be happy, because in other country from European union it’s more than 62 years old (joke).

To determinate our system is outdated, they are based on numbers who allow to tell what they want. We saw in management control we can use numbers to tell what we want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K-lC1_1VVM It’s about retirement system (sorry it’s in French)

I support people make strike. They can make the government moved. I understand they block the country for this.

AdélaïdeSagnes

Back to top Go down

Post by Axelle Fardeau Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:43 pm

I don't really have an opinion on this subject, I don't take sides with anyone, I understand the people who are on strike, who demonstrate and hold their position despite the fact that nothing changes. Politics is not my thing, I let others do it, even if I sometimes disagree.
Axelle Fardeau
Axelle Fardeau

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:15 pm

Axelle Fardeau wrote:I don't really have an opinion on this subject, I don't take sides with anyone, I understand the people who are on strike, who demonstrate and hold their position despite the fact that nothing changes. Politics is not my thing, I let others do it, even if I sometimes disagree.

But what do you think about retirement? It's going to affect you, both when you are working and when you finish working.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Célie Moutot Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:25 pm

Hi John!

I think it is an important subject, which will concern us later on (students). It seems that as the years go by, the retirement age goes down and that's scary. We will work all our lives to ultimately not be sure that we can provide for ourselves. I know elderly people around me who continue to do odd jobs so that they don't have to worry about money, I find that outrageous. A seventy-five year old person should no longer have to work to be able to eat. Unfortunately, some privileged people, such as politicians, do not really realize this...

Concerning strikes, it's a good way to get a message across to the government, even if sometimes some people abuse it ( the SNCF ! Very Happy ).
I think it is important to demonstrate, unfortunately some people take advantage of this to damage the streets and I find it all the more scandalous, it is the French who pay for the infrastructure... Violence is not a solution.

See you Very Happy
Célie Moutot
Célie Moutot

Back to top Go down

Post by earnau06 Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:59 am

I agree with Caroline that SNCF, with its many regular strikes, could find other means of political impact rather than impacting citizens. The transport strike doesn't affect politicians because they have their own privatized means of transport.

However, I’m not really interested in politics, and I think that when you have very little knowledge on a subject, it’s better to keep your mouth shut, and I find it totally normal that some people don’t have an opinion. Politics is such a delicate subject that not everyone is obliged to express themselves, even if it affects our future!

But I'm aware that this is an important subject, and I keep up to date with the news, but I don’t think it matters any more than that. I would revolt if we had people with radical opinions in government. However, the French are never happy with the president, every mandate is the same. But with another, it would surely be worse...

earnau06

Birthday : 1999-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Axelle Fardeau Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:49 am

I think everyone has the right to retire, especially those who have been working since a very young age like me with my student jobs. I don't follow the news too much at this level, but if the retirement time were to be reduced, I wouldn't find it fair because we all contribute to have the right to enjoy it as long as possible.
Axelle Fardeau
Axelle Fardeau

Back to top Go down

Post by Jessica Mauricio Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:25 pm

In general, I think our generation is very negative about its own future. Most of us tend to think that they will never get the chance to retire one day. We don't live with this idea which is totally different from our parents and grand parents who always thought about what will happen after their work life. They always had this idea that one day they will be able to enjoy the rest of their life with their family etc.

Also, I think,we, french people, tend to think about our own personal interests. We forget that if the goverment is changing the pension system today is because France has an ageing population and in 30 years it's going to be a real problem.

So, if we are against this new pension reform, what do we suggest instead ? I personnally don't have an answer.
Jessica Mauricio
Jessica Mauricio

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Foll Camille Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:12 pm

Hello,
I'm not really for or against strikes. I would say that it depends on everyone's point of view. Nevertheless, I note that it causes more problems than it solves.
I think it's good to defend your convictions, but I don't think it's the best way to do it.
I would say that strikes often lose their real meaning of departure and drift towards broader subjects that are not related to the original demands.
Concerning the problem of retirement and pensions, I don't have a clear-cut opinion. I think our system doesn't work very well, but it will be difficult to make people understand it, because it has always been that way. People have difficulty with change and therefore don't want the pension system to evolve. Whether we manifest or not, it's a law that will put an end to the problem of retirement pensions, but the terms of the law are still to be better determined in order to get them accepted by the population.
Le Foll Camille
Le Foll Camille

Back to top Go down

Post by Emeline Texier Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:32 pm

Hi!
I'm for the strike right in France because it's important to show the problems or the desagreement against a law or anything else.
About this stike, I think that it's normal that some people who had advantages in retirement pension, want keep these advantages because for them these advantages are justified.
Personally, I don't understand the retirement system in France, it is really complicated but I think that Macron governement do not the right thing because the trade unions are against all of the governement proposals.
Unfortunatly, these strikes impact a lot the french population but I think that those strikers desmonstrate for all of us because there are many different professions wich are represented (railway workers, teachers, medical staff...).
Then, I really want understand the pension system for understand those strikes but it is really complicated in France.....
In my opinion, we will not get a pension or if we had, we will be retired at 75 years old Razz
Lastly, I don't have the solution to offer about this subject.

See you !

Emeline Texier
Emeline Texier

Back to top Go down

Post by Laura Berthier Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:39 pm

Hola hola,

Strikes are a fundamental right in France and it's normal to use it, but we wonder of the government gives importance to strikes... and that I am really not sure... Mr Macron is just a stubborn young man who just looks where he wants, afraid of the lobbyists behind him who buy suits and candy, that's all.

On the other hand, the universal system has both good and bad aspects... For me, railway workers and civil servants have totally exuberant advantages. I don't unterstand why SNCF workers could retire earlier, it has always outraged me compared to my parents who will work until age 65 !! This is not normal because painfulness is not always justifiable !
Laura Berthier
Laura Berthier

Back to top Go down

Post by katia katy Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:26 pm

Hello everybody Smile
I am not against strikes but I think that the course of these strikers will be very long; I think that these strikes still have consequences on the population, for example, the transport strike that caused blockage and disruption in all the country especially in Paris where many workers couldn’t go to work and some universities were forced to cancel classes.

Concerning the problems of retirement and pensions, I don't really have an opinion about that,
I'm not informed enough on this subject to discuss it even if in reality we are all concerned.

See you Smile
katia katy
katia katy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down