UP English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

7th Week discussion

+24
xinyuan
Jordy Labrousse
ZHANG Yangyang
J-Carrere
PierreBERTRAND
Matt.Randria
JIANG Zhen
LEI Yin
marine.bernard
DAI Yulin
lilianroquet
Petit.Glody
bigben
Veranika MALKEVICH
Benjamin BARBIER
Ebbah
Raphaël Lorenzi
Timothée Simonnet
LIU siqin
Maxime Buard
anaïsdebackere
adeline perrigault
FENG YE
Admin
28 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

7th Week discussion Empty 7th Week discussion

Post by Admin Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:46 pm

Education.

What are your views and opinions on the education system here in France? Comparisions to any other systems that you know would be good. Ideas for changes etc... always interesting.

This could be the last discussion.....maybe.

Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

7th Week discussion Empty Re: 7th Week discussion

Post by FENG YE Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:53 pm

Hello John. Smile
Honestly, there exist big differences in the education system between France and China.Just like you said in the class,the Chinese students are the 'good' students who are the most "respect" the teacher in the world. In fact,most of my studying time in China,we are just a listener and noter even a machine for solving problems,especially in the third year of senior high school. Every day,there are countless test papers waiting for us.But we don't have choice,the China's national condition is just there.Dozens and hundreds of peoples strive for one position,a rate race necessarily accompany the strictly selection. However,the china's government realize the serious problem existing in the out education system.In recent years, the country drop off the percentage of exam results and put the important point on training the capacity of expression and speaking of students,and at the same time require the school developing extracurricular activities for students like hiking and camping ans so on.
By contrast,the education system in France is more "free".If I don't have the language barrier, I think it will be a more relax studying journey in France.Because in here,the teachers pay more attention to communicate with the students in class,we can talk whatever we want and each airs his own views.But in my opinion,there exist a problem in the education that getting to class late.It is not a problem for some students but also for some teachers.It is possible that depends on the french culture but I think everyone at the school should respect the timing's rules.That's all.
Have a good weekend.Laughing

FENG YE

Back to top Go down

Post by adeline perrigault Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:49 pm

Hello everybody !

Our education system is entirely different compared with British education. In fact, in France we have : preschool, elementary school, high school then university or business school or other school. In Great Britain it’s not the same system, there are primary school, secondary school, college. To prepare their AS or A Level, British students have to choose subjects. I think in general it’s three disciplines. In France, we don’t have this functioning: French students opt to a specific baccalaureate (economy, scientific, literary) but they don’t choose their subjects.
As regards the functioning of French education, I think it’s quite diversified. You can pass the baccalaureate or a CAP (certificate of professional competence in 2 years). For higher education, you might enter in a business school, management school, university etc. However, I think there are weaknesses in the French education system. In fact, the government doesn’t highlight handicraft formations such as bricklayer, cabinetmaker etc and we need employees in these sector. The government has to promote this type of formation. In many case, this formation is in apprenticeship. French government must give money to companies to expand apprenticeship. Moreover, business schools are considered to be too elitist… I think it’s the same situation in Great Britain with famous universities such as Oxford or Cambridge.
There is also a big problem for teachers : the disrespect of students. It's a huge problem because it is increasingly difficult to teach with these conditions. A lot of teachers have a breakdown or switch professions... It's so sad and revolting ! French people are known to be bad in foreign languages (English more particularly) but recently, the government has decided to teach English since elementary school: I find this is a good idea. Finally, our education system get used to new technologies with the use of tablet computers etc.
I hope French government will try to make efforts with its education system because education is one of the growth foundations.

adeline perrigault

Back to top Go down

Post by anaïsdebackere Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:46 pm

I think we have a quite good education system. But like so many systems , it isn't perfect and several adjustments are needed.

What I like in this system is the possibility of moving through the different sections. If a student chose to do a CAP ( a technical diploma) during his secondary schools, it can later integrate a college after his technical A-Level. We create more and more , even in the university, these links. A way to generalize studies and above all the so-feared-choice of orientation.
This is not the case in others countries such as Germany or Belgium; children have to choose often too young and are stuck in a pathway. Moreover, technical pathway are bin-pathway for troubled children. France tries to avoid this. And it is well done.

But this aspect has a problem, because with a senior academic experience; we stay too general. And we have no experiences, no ideas of what we want to do. And this is not the career adviser who will help us. ..
Moreover by experience, possibilities of studies, moving abroad are not enough explained to students. I learned during my last year at high school that to go abroad during one year is advised one year before. And if we want to go abroad after our A level we take a risk to get out of the education system. That explains my terrible English and German level at high school because the french system is very bad to teach languages. So many things are put in place to give an easier access to Science po or business schools but often only few people benefit from them. How could I know that the European option will allow me to avoid an exam to become teacher ? I couldn't , but I did it and I am happy to discover this.

I think that the elementary school is quite well organized, and above all tries to solve the differences between the pupils. But from the high school, things worse due to a lack of teaching skills, involvement of students and school raving even in college...

anaïsdebackere

Back to top Go down

Post by Maxime Buard Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:40 pm

Hello John Cool

The French education system is a system that I find too hard for several reasons:

- There are too much class time in particular in high school and college

- French School is one of the most unequal in the world

- It is very far from the ideal dream which this country, despite considerable efforts as the time that young French spend in the classroom and early age at which it sends

- French teachers are poorly trained to manage classroom with difficult students

- In France as elsewhere, are not taught enough that will be relevant for Successful Living

There is just one positive point :
JOHN COX (GOD) : THE BEST ENGLISH TEACHER IN FRANCE sunny

Maxime Buard

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:43 pm

Maxime Buard wrote:Hello John  Cool

There is just one positive point :
JOHN COX (GOD) : THE BEST ENGLISH TEACHER IN FRANCE sunny

Laughing
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LIU siqin Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:47 am

Hi,
Comparison of the Education system between China and France.

Chinese education system is a pattern which only imparts information into Chinese students without asking the students if we want to learn and are we learning happily. The cramming system is dull, and teacher says learning is our own business. Day after day, students always lose their interest to learn. By contrast, French education system make me feel like restudy in Chinese high school by using French, cause it has so many test and exam. Fortunately, French education system does its best to cultivate the student's practice and creativity, emphasize the competence of teamwork, which disappeared from most of the Chinese since they were young.

In China, students accept the grade as the first thing in their study. After 1 year and a half study and living in France, I think grade is the same applies to the French education system.

However, Chinese education system also has advantage: China attaches more importance to basics. Chinese students are forced to learn something that they do not like. But those knowledge that we don’t like make us more competitive with someone else. Besides, what we think is useless may make sense to us in the near future. (Sometimes it’s also a way of self-comfort when we lost our way while studying.)

LIU siqin

Back to top Go down

Post by Timothée Simonnet Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:55 pm

Hi John,

I think that the education system in France is pretty good. I follow few lessons this semester where professionals of education (ESPE, IUFM, etc) spoke about the job of teacher and the education system in France. And they look pretty satisfied of it. There are a lot more advantages than disadvantages. It mainly depends of the education level what you're looking at.

Advantages :
- Students of each level are well formed.
- Possibilities to go abroad.
- John Cox (extramarks ?).

Disadvantages :
- Class time are too long (in the day not for a lesson).
- Holidays are too long, especially summer holidays (cf first disadvantages).
- Find a work is hard because the system is not very professionalising (?).

Solutions that I proposed :
- Recaste the schedule of school time for each level except college.
- Professionalise more high-school and college, with obligatory work placement.
- Better relation between education system and company.
- Pay more John Cox.

Bye John !
Timothée Simonnet
Timothée Simonnet

Back to top Go down

Post by Raphaël Lorenzi Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:11 pm

Hi John,

I think the French education system is a bad system relative to the other system in the world, including several points as too many college courses in high school and even by specializing from the first high school, there are still classes "useless" as a philosophy or second foreign language.
After high school system gets better, it is from this point that occurs sort (the school is no longer required) and specialization becomes clearer.
In other system like the English system (UK), students specialize much earlier and much fewer classes, I know this because one of my cousins is English.

Raphaël Lorenzi

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:02 pm

Timothée Simonnet wrote:Hi John,

- Pay more John Cox.

Bye John !

I like this one!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:03 pm

Raphaël Lorenzi wrote:Hi John,

one of my cousins is English.

You should spend a few weeks with them in the summer.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebbah Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:02 pm

hi JOHN! Hi everybody!
the French education system is a system that is well appreciated. The proof I studied in France Very Happy . Most African countries that were former French colonies have retained the same principles. In other words, we start from the general to specialization. This exchange between the system are the means put in place. In the case of the university I would have preferred to choose certain courses that go in the direction of my career. I will opt if I had the opportunity to have a more flexible system like that of English. In Erasmus students have the opportunity to choose their any material is the country of destination. But for us who remain in place, the system must be reviewed. I propose a solution : the ability to combine the core subjects, necessary and essential for the formation but also allow students to choose other materials as is done in the context of free units. The challenge is huge but it would help to give a new vision to the French education system.one last thing learning more accessible to all students regardless of age just by student status Good bye Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Ebbah

Back to top Go down

Post by Benjamin BARBIER Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:45 pm

Hi John,
I think the French education system is one of the best in the world. Several studies show that it is a system recognized everywhere. Having a multitude of choices to choose its career, allows everyone to do what he pleases. It is of high quality.
By cons I think he has a great weakness. It is in language. Today in our society, globalization is very present. For a graduate be bilingual or trilingual is almost became obligatory according to these studies. But I find that France, it isn’t doing enough to study languages and especially English. For example in our license, 30 hours of English in the year it's insufficient to really speak and understand the language. Concerning the education systems of other countries I do not know the subject very well. But when I was in high school during a language trip to England, we visited Oxford University and I like the fact of wearing the uniform. It causes no difference between the students and it allows to identify with his school. See you tomorrow !!!!!

Benjamin BARBIER

Back to top Go down

Post by Veranika MALKEVICH Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:57 pm

Hey everyone,
I like French system of high education very much. I find it really up-to-date and practice-oriented. As far as I can judge, French students-economists after graduation possess all the needed knowledge and skills to start working. In Belarus the situation is quite different: after the graduation you start your working career and you start learning and studying again, as long as the theory taught in the universities is useless and obsolete.
I also like French system of tests and exams. First of all, it's impossible to cheat. In Belarus I'm always afraid of meeting a doctor who cheated during all his exams Sad Secondly, French tests are really oriented on understanding, not learning by heart (or, may be, it is like that only with economic disciplines). Finally, during tests professors only check the information that was provided during the course. It arrived to me several times in Belarus when a professor gave his course according to a certain manual, but then used tests from another manual. Authors of manuals sometimes have different visions of scientific dilemmas etc (especially in social sciences).
However, it would be great to have more English (or other foreign languages) classes in French universities. In Belarus we have English classes three times a week, and English is taught through three different disciplines: oral practice, grammar and Business English.

Veranika MALKEVICH

Back to top Go down

Post by bigben Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:34 am

Hi John, i think that the french system is so good for the economy but it's a real problem of social society. In this system, the compétition between students is a real problem, this compétition is unfair and the race for succès is the main factor in the rising of individualisme in this society. I think that he exist a link between the kindred Spirit and the degree. This compétition permit to up the productivity, the gdp but the state try to regulate the social inequality. We Will reform the scolar system to sanitize the social inequality.

bigben

Back to top Go down

Post by Petit.Glody Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:50 pm

I think the French education system is relatively well compared to the Congolese education system, there I would venture to say yes this is the best of the best. Laughing Laughing

Well what is the basis, I would say learning is still pretty basic anyway, while the world is changing and there's more demanding in terms of professional integration in the labor market unlike previous spent decades. such companies to hire today are much more demanding of young students who usually have no experience upstream. then to address this problem, other educational systems such as England, united states, in addition to shortening the years of study, have a rather refocusing in terms of learning the key to make it capable learners to find their work output of schools. training is much more specialized.
After all, There are similar developments in France on this track. With BTS / DUT such training, or the masters who were recently introduced professionalization contracts or learning alternately. that's not bad it moves Smile Very Happy Despite that this phenomenon is slow for universities, training is still too general and still theoretical, but at least it moves with excersises file, but at least it moves with the file excercises, oral presentation, or interviews with professionals conducted by students.

Petit.Glody

Back to top Go down

Post by lilianroquet Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:30 pm

Hi John, Hi Everyone,

I think the French education system has advantages and defects.

There has advantages like the fact that the registration fee at the University is very low (about 200 € for the year License) while in the USA the fees are much higher (The academic year costs about 6500 dollars in a state university and up to $ 50,723 for the University of Harvard).

Few families can fully fund their children's education: students have therefore use grants, loans and student employment. There is a system of near-zero interest loans or very low interest rates, some of which are refunded when the student enters the workforce, this system often leaves much indebted students.

Because of this, students with limited financial resources have difficulty or can not go to college.

The French education system has flaws, the weeks are overloaded, and holidays poorly distributed, very little work in groups, and educational pedagogy not very good, with many lessons to be learned by heart.
In England many students specialize rather than in France, and I think this is better. In France, we have materials that should be optional as Philosophy for example, because they are useless. The French school is becoming one of the most unequal in the world.

lilianroquet

Back to top Go down

Post by DAI Yulin Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:35 pm

Hello,
I have no idea with the system of education in France, cause I never study in French high school or primary school, what I want to talk about is my feelings when I’m study in University of Poitiers. Firstly, we have no teaching material, and books here are really really expensive! It’s the first time I think printing and copying is so important.
Secondly, every teacher has his own style. I think it is because we don’t have the teaching material in common. Teachers are free to choose the part they are interested in.
And, we have so much paper work!
The points I’ve mentioned are the differences between France and China, I can’t say if it’s good or not, but the lessons in university are more flexible than those in China.

DAI Yulin

Back to top Go down

Post by marine.bernard Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:07 pm

To begin, we may say that education system in France has many benefits. Firstly, it is a free system whose the participation is mandatory. Then, it purposes many academic subjects. They allow for pupils to profit to a diversified teaching. We may also quote that France offers a good professional training to future teachers. Thanks to the MEEF master, teachers are properly trained to teach and it insinuates a quality teaching. We may point out that many measures are in place to adapt used pedagogy to current society. For instance, current reforms are trying to bring new technologies, playful tools, … in the pedagogy of the system. Owing to these measures, we are exepted to making the system less discriminatory and more egalitarian. Lastly, there are increasingly bridges between degrees. All these measures are the assets of the education system of France.
However, the system has such weakness. Firstly, it reproduces inequalities. Indeed, the education system of France enhances a such elite culture : pupils of wealthy families feel more comfortable in the system than other pupils. In pratice, the education system of France hardly reduces inequalities. Moreover, the system is too much elitist. For instance, the PISA survey showed in 2012 that pupils are becoming increasingly very good or very bad in Mathematics : inequalities inside the classroom are becoming increasingly strong. At last, many pupils consider thaht the eduction system in France doesn’t enough prepar pupils to encounter their active life. Since the crisis, this phenomeneon has raising. Indeed, the system doesn’t seem to ensure a job and good income to pupil to futur. Some studies have showed that such subjects ( as economy for instance ) should be taught more early.
The education system of France is often compared with education systems of other countries. Firstly, people often compared the education system of France, of United Kingdom and of the United States. There are many differences. First of all, the Amrican eduction system is decentralised : its financing depends on local tax and federal budget. The rythm of the United Kingdom education system is different : summer holidays are less long but the Christmas and the Easter holidays are more long. Courses and school days are more tight. At last, the organisation of the secondary education is special in the United Kingdom (Year 2: examen “Key stage 1”, Year 6: examen “Key stage 2, Year 7: examen “Key stage 3”, Year 8: examen “GCSE”. L). We may also point out that the best pupils may access to prestigious « Grammar School » and the other pupils make for « Comprehensive school ». So, there are structural differences between systems. We may also quote the Finnish system, that is often used as a model. However, I don’t think that it is a good thing to compare these systems. Indeed, they are conductive each country. Each education system depends on the history, the social strucuture, the culture, … of the country.

See you soon ! Smile

marine.bernard

Back to top Go down

Post by LEI Yin Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:44 am

Hello John,
The Comparison between China and France, they have strengths and weaknesses. Teachers in China are given more respect than teachers in France, For example, teachers do not taxes on their salary, and they receive their own national holiday, Teachers Day, on September 10th and Chinese schools have a hard work ethic, resulting in student success. But China's schools only care about the students' scores, but not care about the comprehensive development of students. So this system will cause students just care about their exam, they do not care about other things. They do not pay a lot attention on practicing and exercising their bodies. They just spend most of their time on working on the exam questions. But in France, the students have freedom on their study. In addition to exam scores, the students can work together discussion as a group.

LEI Yin

Back to top Go down

Post by JIANG Zhen Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:37 am

Hi, John and everyone Smile How time flies! it's already at the end of the class of English. :/
The french education is well developped with high centralisation and organisation, and with many subdivisions. It's really a good opportunity to study here.
The Chinese school system is almostly like the French school system: There are primary education,secondary education and higher education.
For example, Teachers in China are given more respect than teachers in most of other countries. (There is even a special Teachers Day on September 29th).  The social status and living standards of teachers have been taken efforts . So it could be very good codnition for you to teach French or English in Chine ^^"
The students should  work hard to have a good result and the score is very important.I think especially in the middle school they have a lot of press to go to a good university. But there is less creation for the students. But here I have learnded to be more creative et the importance of the spirit of groupe.

Last edited by JIANG Zhen on Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:03 pm; edited 2 times in total

JIANG Zhen

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt.Randria Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:50 pm

Hello !
Even though I believe the French system is, in some way, associated to a quality education, there are areas that require improvement and actions.

When I was in Kenya there were a major difference between the French system (Lycée Denis Diderot of Nairobi) and the others international schools (German school, Swedish school, and other schools running the English system…). The difference was about extra activities: A lot of activities (music, dance, art, running a project…) were proposed to students in those systems except in the French schools. Those activities were a part of the curricular, and students planning were adapted to integrate those: for instance they would have regular courses in the morning and activities in the afternoon. I think that for students, extra activities are a plus in a personal plan and for the CV.
Also, as other students mentioned, foreign languages are not the main quality in The French system. It should take example on those systems to improve to be competitive and attract more students.
Matt.Randria
Matt.Randria

Back to top Go down

Post by PierreBERTRAND Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:22 am

Hi John ! I'm going to do this seriously ! I think in France we dont encourage students to learn, they just have to remember exactly what the teacher said. I mean for example if You said : this part of the programm wont be in the final test. Nobody will listen your class, and i can understand that ! Because i guess some teachers are like "yeah tpday i'll do my **** and tonight i will finally end my CSI episode, those students are fucktards anyway". By the way, i think the french system need more diversification. Because, after College you can forgot sports, arts, music etc. This is way better in northern countries
PierreBERTRAND
PierreBERTRAND

Back to top Go down

Post by J-Carrere Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:59 pm

I think the most important thing for the french education system is to have teacher.
It's rly easy to obtain the teaching licence in France and even if your obtain it , it don't proof u will be a good worker.
Teaching is rly complicated beacause u have to interest people !
Don't care john i don't blame you because your are the best teacher of the world !!!
I love you would you marry me ? what about a threesome with pierre ?

J-Carrere

Back to top Go down

Post by ZHANG Yangyang Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:32 pm

Hello everybody,
I would like compare the different of the education system in china et the education system in French. At first, in china, as we all know, to provide for its population, China has a vast and varied school system and we have the law on Nine-Year Compulsory Education ,which is very important for school-age children to guarantee theirs right to receive at least nine years of education. And we have also the key schools that would produce the greatest number of college entrants. In spite of the complete education system, Students focus on rote-memorization as the main learning strategy and the aim of teaching maybe geared towards the skills tested, it is very boring!!!
For the French educational system, there are public and private schools in France.in fact, plenty of money is spent on education and if getting prime education that we want and need is important to us, for me, I think that studying is definitely the perfect option in France. There are grande école for student who wants to study economic in France. Grande école attract many student who come from others country.

ZHANG Yangyang

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next