UP English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First topic Second semester.

+13
Laura Berthier
Lauralee Spadat
Jessica Mauricio
Célie Moutot
Adrien Roucairol
Camille GENNESSON
Le Foll Camille
Emeline Texier
Emma Vancostenoble
katia katy
carolinemaggi
Lisa Garcia
Admin
17 posters

Go down

First topic Second semester. Empty First topic Second semester.

Post by Admin Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:19 pm

The sales.

For those who are thinking "oh no, I don't go to the sales, blah blah blah...." it's a big subject. Attack it from a different angle - a commercial aspect, advertising, work hours, promotional techniques, the internet effect, the evolution over time ....
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

First topic Second semester. Empty Re: First topic Second semester.

Post by Lisa Garcia Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:56 pm

Hi there !

Well, I don't even know if we can talk about "sales" because all I see is bullshit Laughing
The sellers make us believe that their products are on sale, but when we look closely, in fact they lie. For example, they announce that the product is at 10€ instead of 20€, but when we look at how much it was before, we realize that it was already at 10€ so they make us believe that we have saved money when not at all.
However, even if there are sales that are "worth it", if we need nothing but we buy products during the sales because we think we're saving money, in the end we don't, you know what I mean? Shocked
Lisa Garcia
Lisa Garcia

Back to top Go down

Post by carolinemaggi Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:56 am

The sales.... well.

First, I agree with Lisa, but what she's talking about is all about marketing... welcome in this fake world haha

Otherwise I'm divided on this topic. On the one hand, I love clothes, fashion, I like buy new clothes because it's kind of synonym of well-being. I mean, I feel good with clothes I like. So the sales are a good occasion to me to buy new things or clothes/shoes I saw and I was waiting for the sales to save money.

On the other hand, fashion industry is a shame. It's represent the second biggest polluter. It's a disaster for the environment. But you know... when people buy a shirt they don't see the stakes and what is hidden behind. And when you look at what people are willing to do for the Black Friday for instance... it's crazy. From a personal point of view, I try to buy less but it's hard. So, I sell my old clothes to balance with it. It's not enough but I think it's a start.

See you soon!
carolinemaggi
carolinemaggi

Back to top Go down

Post by katia katy Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:23 pm

Hey there

Sales are an important time for both sellers and buyers, even if it’s sometimes a fake period.

As Lisa said, there are some misleading promotions, we think we saved money but we actually paid the real price. to avoid falling into this trap we need to look at the prices of the items we're interested in before the sale period.

Stores use several promotional techniques, like buying one article and you got less than 50% off for the second one and if you buy for more than 60 euros you get an extra 10% discount and it actually works good.
Otherwise, we can say that we all wait this period to buy clothes, accessories…, etc. Some mothers, for example, buy clothes for their children throughout the year during the sales in order to not buy expensive clothes.

See you ^^
katia katy
katia katy

Back to top Go down

Post by Emma Vancostenoble Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:41 am

Hello everyone, I hope Design Night has been fun and that your hangover is going well. Laughing

I'm one of those head in the clouds ordering several things... a few days before the sales. I always forget when it's gonna be, because it's like it's all year round !
Is there any sense in this sales thing confused Some brands use the "broken price" strategy all year round, and others manipulate prices at sales, as Lisa or Katia said.

Not to mention, like Caroline, the seriousness of the acts of the fashion industry, I will talk about the "boring" side of the sales : people throw themselves on promotions, there is always too much crowd, so you get a little pressure when you’re in a store full of people, and you buy things a little bit without thinking or just because it's satisfying to say to yourself "Yea, I did the sales, I'm a master of the business !"...

But... we're all students, expect if our parents play it like Balkany's couple, we're really happy to save money as much as possible. So, if we're some kind of smartshoppers, we can take advantage for the sales and find some cool opportunities to buy clothes or accessories with good promotions.
A good thing to do, during/after the sales, would be to resell items that we have and that we no longer put. Because by buying things during sales, we fill our closets, and that means that clothes will be put aside in front of the new ones, necessarily. And with this solution, you gain moooore money !
Emma Vancostenoble
Emma Vancostenoble

Back to top Go down

Post by Emeline Texier Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:56 pm

Hello !

First, I agree with my classmates. I think that the sales are not real because some stores (a majority) increase their prices and then, decrease falsely their prices and take advantage of this period.
Then, in nowadays, sales not mean anything any more. Indeed, with internet, consumers can buy everything on sale because there are a lot of website which offer private sales throughout the year. So, sales period in physical stores is not expected by consumers.
Moreover, the sales period increase the temptation to buy more and more products and even the consumer doesn't need the product. This leads an ecological consequence because as everyone knows textile industry pollutes a lot so, it's better to buy clothes on Vinted or United Wardrobe! It's easy to say that but in reality it's complicated because we are educated to consume only new clothes...

See you soon ! Cool
Emeline Texier
Emeline Texier

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Foll Camille Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:52 am

Hi,
In general, I like to shop, buy anything and everything, but only what I need and according to my budget (I am not a compulsive shopper). I find it important to know how to manage your budget and how to be reasonable.
I prefer to go directly to the city to do my shopping, I do it very rarely or if I really don't have a choice on the Internet. I don't like to order too much on the Internet because of the shipping costs that I sometimes find excessive and also bad from an ecological point of view like emeline said.
As far as sales are concerned, I get screwed every time in the sense that I buy what is not on sale or I make purchases just before the sales period.
I like to watch the ads on TV, but I would say that they have little impact on my purchases (only the annoying jingles stay in my head).

Have you seen john's new post office ad? It's so crazy !

Le Foll Camille
Le Foll Camille

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:57 pm

Le Foll Camille wrote:Hi,
In general, I like to shop, buy anything and everything, but only what I need and according to my budget (I am not a compulsive shopper). I find it important to know how to manage your budget and how to be reasonable.
I prefer to go directly to the city to do my shopping, I do it very rarely or if I really don't have a choice on the Internet. I don't like to order too much on the Internet because of the shipping costs that I sometimes find excessive and also bad from an ecological point of view like emeline said.
As far as sales are concerned, I get screwed every time in the sense that I buy what is not on sale or I make purchases just before the sales period.
I like to watch the ads on TV, but I would say that they have little impact on my purchases (only the annoying jingles stay in my head).

Have you seen john's new post office ad? It's so crazy !

haha

He dances much better than me.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Camille GENNESSON Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:13 pm

Hi everyone !

Like all of you, I think sales are a fake period. I don't really like it because there's too much people in stores and you have to wait sooooo long for just trying some clothes ; it gets on my nerves.

I don't wait for sales to buy things, I really like to go to stores as Action or Stockomani, where there are knock-down prices all along the year.

But recently, I became aware of the environmental impact of all my purchases. And so, this year, I decided to buy less or at least, to buy on second-hand market.
Camille GENNESSON
Camille GENNESSON

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrien Roucairol Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:32 am

Hi,

Personnally, i think sales are not a good reason for buying new clothes. Indeed, i don’t wait this period because the most of clothes which are proposed are from old collection. And when i go shopping i always choose clothes from new collection.

So it’s not a good opportunity for me to buy other things, even if it’s a good way for companies to sell its product.
Adrien Roucairol
Adrien Roucairol

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:51 am

The sales are just a hook to pull in the unthinking fish. There are no bargains. You are being controlled by Big Business.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Célie Moutot Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:22 am

Hi ! Very Happy

I think that sales are a good thing for people who can't normally indulge themselves. However, I think some people are far too hysterical when it comes to sales.
I like sales because I can buy things that I wouldn't normally (hand bag or things more expensive Cool ) dare to buy, but I don't run to the sale and camp out in front of the stores to be the first one to open Laughing . I think we have to be reasonable, if it's possible.
Sometimes sales aren't even advantageous, when you have to buy three clothes to get a discount, it's not necessarily good. You spend a lot of money without realizing it, just because it's a sale and you think you're getting a good deal.

See you later !
Célie Moutot
Célie Moutot

Back to top Go down

Post by Jessica Mauricio Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:10 pm

Well for me sales is a frustrating subject. Every time I go shopping for sales I never find anything. I'm always attracted to the new collection.

Also, I think the boutiques are dishonest, they put the old and ugly clothes for sale instead of putting the last collection. It's so frustrating !

And as my mates said before they lie about the prices and the actual promotion. They rise the prices just before putting in on sale.

I think you might have notices, sales are quite a sensitive subject for me.
Jessica Mauricio
Jessica Mauricio

Back to top Go down

Post by Lauralee Spadat Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:28 pm

My opinion regarding the sales is quite negative. Indeed, everyone likes to buy at a lower price, but today we know the dishonest practices of brands, and we know that we don't really save money.

First, if you look closely, the winter sales start in early January and the summer sales in mid-June. In fact, unsold winter destock 15 days after the beginning of winter,and the unsold of the summer on the 3rd day of summer. Makes sense, doesn't it?  Shocked

Secondly, today's sales are in fact a simple detail of vocabulary because brands no longer need as much as before to sell their stocks and anyway, we find discounts every month for every occasion.

I realize that finally, over the years, the non-stop sales have only increased the price of what we buy.
In addition, seeing that the sales marketing operation was working well, many brands began to increase the price of their products. It is very common to inflate the price of a product just before the sales in order to apply then a big -40%. You're really being laughed at us.

There is also a widespread practice among many very big brands, it is the creation of discount special lines.
As the supply of their stocks is hyper-controlled, these brands have almost no seasonal stock at the time of the sales. So they produce lines of a lower quality than their habits, to take full advantage of the consumer at the time of the sales. The production method is also not the same ...

In short, all this to say that we are fooled but we buy anyway, psychologically we think that it is good to buy with discount, we feel superior to the brand. But all this is an illusion.  Crying or Very sad
Lauralee Spadat
Lauralee Spadat

Back to top Go down

Post by Laura Berthier Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:47 pm

The first thing that shocks me and makes me laugh is that a lot of people say that the sales are not good for the planet and it's a lie, however everyone goes, there are always so many people in the stores. (and yes I'm one of them...)

The second thing is that after doing some research on the sales we can see that fewer and fewer people are really interested in it compred to before. "56% of people doing sales". Before, sales was the "event" of the year to make your wardrobe, now it's become commonplace because it's taken too long, there is also cyber monday, boxing day, black friday, private sales, not to mention special offers for members. People don't have expandable wallets to buy all the time.
And it's paradoxical because we are told that the planet is dying, we have to buy less, we have to be more careful and on the other hand, companies are always there to push and stimulate us.
I think that the government should do something to reduce all these promotions, but it's complicated for businesses because it would lower their sales and reduce growth...
Laura Berthier
Laura Berthier

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Pasquier Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:13 pm

Hello,

The sales are just a trap for me because when it's begin i just want to buy a shirt or a jean which are on sale. But when i find one, i also find a beautiful tee shirt or sweatshirt from the new collection and it's too late, i get trapped and buy it with of course the thing i come for.

The sales are a good thing for many peoples who maybe can't offer to their children some presents when it's not the sales like console or videos games. I read that during the black friday a big part of the presents for Christmas are bought in this period.

I saw that you need a animal's picture to talk so i choose the best i can
Paul Pasquier
Paul Pasquier

Back to top Go down

Post by Axelle Fardeau Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:33 pm

Good evening,

This subject is really interesting because it's current. So I can see all the comments of my friends "behind the scenes, marketing, lies blah blah blah", they are certainly right it's not like before now there are sales all year round in stores but especially on the Internet, so you can no longer recognize the real sales period. Moreover, the price reduction is much less advantageous than before. However even if I've been in the marketing field for 4 years and I know the scams of the trade, I'm the worst, I always fall for it and I buy as soon as there is a discount, whether it's on clothes or in store for my daily shopping ahah. I feel obliged to seize the opportunity. In short, sales are made for people like me, victims of our current consumer society.
Axelle Fardeau
Axelle Fardeau

Back to top Go down

Post by AdélaïdeSagnes Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:31 pm

Hello!
It’s true today there is sales each 2 months, like for black Friday, Christmas, Valentin’s day and whatever. It’s so often that I don’t like to pay the prices on the price tag because I know that one month after the price will go down.
So the sales it’s less an event today. I join Caroline, fashion industry is a shame, but like Axelle I’m also a victim!!! I do like to make to shopping during the sales especially to buy essential things I need like socks!

AdélaïdeSagnes

Back to top Go down

Post by Kellia Cassagnau Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:07 am

Good morning everybody,

I like Sales! Sales are a way to buy clothes at a lower cost, usually before the launch of a new collection. In the past, sales were highly anticipated, but nowadays, with the multiplication of private sales throughout the year, the degree of interest is less.

Still, it's always a good way to save some money or to buy something you couldn't normally afford to.

Moreover, from a professional point of view, sales allows shops to reduce considerably their stock and to increase their number of sales.

I am aware that we have to reduce our consumption, or consume differently, but at this time, I can change my habits for food purchase but I can't when we talk about clothes...
Kellia Cassagnau
Kellia Cassagnau

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:24 am

Paul Pasquier wrote:Hello,

The sales are just a trap for me because when it's begin i just want to buy a shirt or a jean which are on sale. But when i find one, i also find a beautiful tee shirt or sweatshirt from the new collection and it's too late, i get trapped and buy it with of course the thing i come for.

The sales are a good thing for many peoples who maybe can't offer to their children some presents when it's not the sales like console or videos games. I read that during the black friday a big part of the presents for Christmas are bought in this period.

I saw that you need a animal's picture to talk so i choose the best i can

It's not an animal picture Paul, it's the one we love most. I think you have chosen the correct image.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:04 pm

A bbc article today says that retail sales fell in December (a month when they usually jump because of Christmas) why do you think that is?

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51147634
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AdélaïdeSagnes Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:20 pm

Hello John, I haven't got idea why did the retail sales fell in December, but it's impossible to sell more and more year after year, this must not be open-ended! Ines learned us!!

AdélaïdeSagnes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down