UP English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Week 3 subject That's not a sport.

+25
Fichot Timothé
TISNE Floriane
Trawalé Nathan
Antoine Delval
Pauline Lachevre
dbondoux
Lydie Maroteix
ecolde01
thibault olivier
alefev10
Hubert Clément
Joret Maël
Thomas Moreau
Théo DANGOUMAU
Nathan Quiry
Larbre
Mathis Tachdjian
tom renoulleau
Flavien P
Rgnicolas
Anais Quéré
florian
gbillaud
Lucie Proux
Admin
29 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Week 3 subject That's not a sport. Empty Week 3 subject That's not a sport.

Post by Admin Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:53 pm

What sports do you think are not sports and why?

50 - 100 words.

Last edited by Admin on Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

Week 3 subject That's not a sport. Empty Re: Week 3 subject That's not a sport.

Post by Lucie Proux Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:47 pm

For me, classical dance is not a sport, but more a hobby, something artistic. Because for me a sport is really something physical and technical at the same time. And so classical dance for me is only technical and unsyeal. In addition, sports are open to all without any physical characteristics and unfortunately I have seen girls being criticized by dance teachers because they were too "fat" and there is a lot of pressure, until the girl leaves school. I think that in the field of dance the physical matters too much which does not allow to be open to everyone. For example during a football or handball match we have to small, big, skinny, fat there is everything because these sports have been able to use the qualities of people to bring them in harmony. But have we ever seen a 1m80 girl in a ballet? Not simply because during the performances it would not be harmonious..... It's bad!!

Lucie Proux

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gbillaud Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:13 pm

Hi ! For me, golf is not a sport because for me the word sport includes several criteria for it to be one.You have to sweat, there has to be an activation of the respiratory cardio, movements and overtaking of itself,. However I do not find any of these criteria in golf which for me is more a hobby than a sport.

gbillaud

Back to top Go down

Post by florian Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:55 pm

hi john, today the subject is a sport which for me is not one. So I chose billiards because how much I even love this sport, for me it is more a hobby and a passion more than a sport. Although this activity is very passionate, funny and friendly, it does not require so much physical capacity other than the mastery of the cue and balls, billiards is a game accessible to all and therefore for me is a leisure and not a sport

florian

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Anais Quéré Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:20 pm

Today we talking about "sports that's not a sport". Personally, I don't have a lot of inspiration, it's true that I preferred the subject "SEX". I was much more inspired...  Very Happy
So, by default I am going to talk to you about "darts". For me, it's more a bar hobby that is shared with friends than a federal sport.
I consider a federal sport when it's codified, institutionalized, competitive and motor skill. For darts, the first 3 values ​​correspond but the last one, ie "motor skills", remains all the same subjective. There are several kinds of "motricity" such as very active motricity, that's to say a motricity going up to a considerable physical effort or then a motricity which simply requires a movement of the body. For darts we are more on a light motor effort.
I would even say that we use cognitive motor skills more than physical ones. That is why we can think of darts as an intellectual sport and not a physical one.
So it can still be considered a sport but "cognitive".
Which also joins chess, pétanque ... etc.
I think to confirm whether it is a sport or not, there are no right answers, it's just subjective.

Anais Quéré

Birthday : 2001-11-12

Admin and Anais Quéré like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rgnicolas Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:40 pm

Morning y'all.
Soooo... Today's topic is sports that are not sports. Reminds me of my philosophy's lessons a few years ago.
I could probably talk about bedroom sport again, but I already talked about it in my last post. Moreover, the topic about "sex" hasn't been taken, even though I'm sure Anaïs would have a lot of things to say.
Anyway. I'm already coming close to the 100 words without even getting started on the topic. I probably talk too much. I'm truly sorry about that (not gonna change tho).
A sport that's not a sport... I think you can put in this category all the sports that doesn't require physical abilities or mental tricks such as dexterity or accuracy. Chess, for example, "only" requires a good mind and psychological abilities. That MIGHT be a reason not to put it in the "sport" list.

Rgnicolas

Back to top Go down

Post by Flavien P Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:20 am

If we have to talk about a sport that is not a sport, how can we not talk about equestrianism? Whether we're talking about show jumping, dressage or eventing, it's the horse that does most of the work, not the person sitting on it. If the International Olympic Committee wanted an equestrian sport in which the rider puts in as much effort as the horse, rodeo would be the one we would turn to, or polo, but not equestrian competitions. Oh yes and if you weigh more than 100kg don't ride a horse because you will hurt them more than anything else.

Flavien P

Back to top Go down

Post by tom renoulleau Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:16 pm

Good morning, sir. I hope you are doing well and that you have celebrated your wife’s birthday, to whom I wish a very happy birthday.
Petanque, in my eyes is not a sport, I really love it is my activity of the summer I am even winner of the tournament of my village but I do not consider it a sport, in this practice there is no physical effort, there is certainly a mental effort but not physical and for me a sport must really generate a physical effort, with a lot of movement.

tom renoulleau

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mathis Tachdjian Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:28 pm

Hi John, hope covid didn't already kill you. Unlike most of people, I consider that nearly every activities where the body can have an impact on the result is a sport. If you have to master your body and have several physical qualities (strength, quickness, stability, dexterity) to be great at a particular activity, it's a sport. Boules, darts, cycling, curling, horse riding... these are all sports ! I even tend to consider certains video games, where hand dexterity has an importance, such as shooting games, to be a sport.

Mathis Tachdjian

Admin and thibault olivier like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Larbre Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:30 pm

Today I'm going to talk about a sport that I don't think fits into the sports category. The sport that I don't think is a sport is chess. Indeed, chess for me is not considered a sport, because we do not need to use a physical expense or a major effort like rugby or football all we need to exercise this "game" is knowledge and reflection. So I consider chess as a hobby or a game but not as a sport.

Larbre

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Quiry Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:59 pm

A sport which isn't ? Well it depend on what you call sport. For example most people would say that "cerebral sport" like chess or others are not sports because they don't require any physical effort or training. But what do you use to play chess ? Your brain of course ! And what's your most efficient and important muscle ? Your brain of course ! So I don't really think we should debate of which sport is a sport or which isn't really. To me it's like if I'm telling the Leicester's fan you are that Manchester United is the best english team ever. You'll never tell me I'm right (even if I am Wink ). So if I try to answer you anyway 'cause I guess I'm a little bit up than 100 words. For "sport" is a big family of activities including physical sports (football), cerebral sports (chess), e-sports an many others

Nathan Quiry

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Théo DANGOUMAU Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:44 pm

A sport is a sport if it has a federation and therefore there are competitions.
For me, if I make my own definition of sport, it has to be a more intense physical effort than a basic activity, otherwise it is leisure.
Petanque, archery for example.
I find that this kind of sport resembles more leisure activities than real sport, despite the fact that I respect that they are sports in relation to a particular definition.

Théo DANGOUMAU

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomas Moreau Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:41 am

For me, petanque is not a sport because there is not a significant energy expenditure.
I consider pétanque more like a leisure activity to do with friends on Sundays with a small aperitif (a small ricard).
But it is a bit of a brain hobby because it requires a certain concentration and reflection.
However, this activity has international competitions with precise rules and even if it is a hobby, the competition esprtit is present.
During the holidays, i like play petanque with my friends and family. Petanque is synonym of holidays!!!!

Thomas Moreau

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Joret Maël Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:54 pm

That’s not a sport.
For me a sport it’s something what you practice and at the end you are tired as much physically or mentally. So all of sports can enter in my definition of sport but some of them need less resources than others like for example petanque need less energy than basketball. In France peanque as a federation so in front of the low it’s a real sport but for some peoples it can be just a recreation.

Joret Maël

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubert Clément Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:57 pm

The sport which for me is not a sport is chess. Indeed sport requires physical activity which tends on effort, must be played in accordance with the rules, is played in competition and has a federation. However failures, in my opinion, do not use "effort". Although you have to think about it, this sport does not tire, does not use the muscles of the body except for some inside the head.

Hubert Clément

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alefev10 Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:03 pm

Hi John, I hope you're fine. Personally I'm doing good.
Today I'm going to speak about a sport which isn’t. For me, Yoga is one of them.

I practice Yoga quite regularly. In my opinion, this practice is not really a sport.
Why? Because it’s above all an energetic practice based on the feeling and sensations.

Indeed, breath control is the variable that differentiates Yoga from other gymnastic, stretching or muscle building practices for example.

Behind the word yoga, there are a lot of different practices (Pranayama, Hatha yoga, Yin yoga, meditation..). All this practices involve the body but also mind and spirit. Unlike conventional sports, which essentially require the body.

In conclusion, we must differentiate yoga from other sports.
The word “yoga” means “union”: union of mind, body and spirit.

Namaste John ! farao

alefev10

Admin, thibault olivier and alefev10 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by thibault olivier Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:16 pm

hello guys ! Basically we all agree to say that a sport is a physical activity aimed at improving one's physical condition.It's a set of physical exercises in the form of individual or group games, generally giving rise to a competition, practiced by observing certain precise rules.
Let’s say it once and for all, golf is much better in the “skill game” or “health walk” category than in the “sport” category. In my opinion golf is not very painful. For exemple by playing the "par", a golfer has to hit the ball with his stick 72 times over the 18 holes, which is equivalent, in terms of physical effort, to perform 31 jumps with a rope, even a 6 year old girl can do about 15 times at every daily recess, except that the golfer doesn’t stay out when it rains. golfer are slacker, because most of them travels in the domain with a kart.

thibault olivier

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ecolde01 Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:02 pm

For me chess is not a sport why? Because there is no physical activity, no movement of the body, only the brain works, whereas in a traditional sport it is an alliance of body and mind that allows the physical activity to take place. Chess has a federation, but it is an intellectual and not a physical activity.

ecolde01

Admin and thibault olivier like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Lydie Maroteix Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:59 pm

As implausible and ridiculous as it may sound, bridge is considered to be a sporting discipline. Yes, the same bridge that our great grandparents played in a foursome. In reality, bridge, like chess, is categorised as a brain sport, as if it existed... A brain sport is a value-added definition for the lazy. With a view to the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo, Japan, bridge has been nominated as an official discipline. It has also been nominated for surfing, darts, beach football, karate, bowling... But to name an Olympic medalist in... bridge is on the edge of acceptability. It is difficult to imagine an 82 year old Olympic champion! To say that during this time, the squash bid was rejected... Go figure. The definition of sport is "Physical activity aimed at improving physical condition. All physical exercises in the form of individual or group games, generally involving competition, practised in accordance with certain precise rules. "I wonder what physical qualities are necessary to sit and play cards.

Lydie Maroteix

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dbondoux Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:53 pm

for me, beer pong cannot be part of the "sport" category, it should be considered as an art in the same way as dance. this discipline is undoubtedly the most practiced (even more than football), it is under quoted. much more than a sport, a passion.

dbondoux

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pauline Lachevre Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:04 pm

If I were to talk about a sport that is not a sport, I would say fishing. To be a fisherman is to be considered a lazy practitioner, quietly sitting on his chair waiting for the fish. Fishing is generally considered a hobby and not a sport practice. Even if there are fishing federations, I do not consider this activity as a sport because it does not fit into my sporting criteria. I would say that fishing is more like a trade than a sport.

Pauline Lachevre

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Antoine Delval Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:14 pm

Hello, for me a sport is an activity with a competition, a physical and mentality capacities. It has a federation. For exemple, dance is not a sport for me because it can be considered for an art because it use many capacities for "the utilisation of the dance for send a message at others" but it don't have the same valors of sports, like concurrence, the overcoming oneself and other....

Antoine Delval

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trawalé Nathan Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:24 pm

hello John,
I think that before saying "it's a sport, it's not a sport" we should first define what is a sport? for me the sport is a physical activity, codified, affiliated to a federation which can give rise to competition.
For me Sunday jogging is not a sport. It is a physical activity, there is no federation concerning Sunday jogging.
That's all for me I wish you a good end of the day and see you tomorrow to discuss Megan Rapinoe Wink

Trawalé Nathan

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Week 3 subject That's not a sport. Empty That's not a sport

Post by TISNE Floriane Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:37 pm

All sports have their own peculiarities. Indeed, for me, bowling is not too much of a sport because you have to throw the ball and then there is not necessarily a need for a big warm-up. But when you think about it you need strength, a good gesture and learning to succeed as in all other sports. But, for example, we can talk about billiards. Billiards has a French federation, so it is recognized as a sport. For me, billiards is absolutely not a sport, there is no energy expenditure, there is no fatigue, and for me, there are no signs that show any tiredness when playing sports

TISNE Floriane

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Fichot Timothé Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:42 pm

For me, the sport that is not a sport is sport shooting. This sport has been at the Olympic Games for several years but, for me, the fact that I stay still and that this sport does not require a very high level of physical activity changes everything. In my opinion, an activity is considered a sport when our physical capacities are engaged in it, like football or rugby for example. This discipline is more an activity of concentration, of technique... But in spite of everything, it remains a rather extraordinary and impressive discipline.

Fichot Timothé

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum