UP English
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2nd Week topic

+24
Kevin G
Hanane Lemrabott
Anthony Deneau
Flavien Vairon
Jana Lopušná
SUN YINGYU
Sarah Blanchard-Wall
JulietteLegrand
Tsiry A. Rakotomanana
Alexandra-Cristina IONITA
Amélie Berton
thomas sauzet1
Arnaud Guicheteau
Savariau Audrey
Nasser
WEI DAI
Mathilde Rigagneau
Matthieu Godet
Laura Boutant
Ornella
juliette cazin1
Nathanaël Boucher
Pierre Laurend
Admin
28 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

2nd Week topic Empty 2nd Week topic

Post by Admin Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:19 pm

This week there are 3 topics. You can comment on 1, 2 or all 3.

Topic 1. Discussion of the Weapons policy in the U.S.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://upenglish.forumactif.org

Back to top Go down

2nd Week topic Empty Re: 2nd Week topic

Post by Pierre Laurend Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:25 pm

It would be foolish to take guns to the police, the number of policemen who would be killed by the integration of this rule will weigh heavily on the conscience of the one who will pass this law.
Small historical example of the League (League of Nations) that had the same role that the ONU today but without "weapon" and never fulfilled.
Although the United States has seen the problem of unintentional errors (or volunteers ...) of some policemen who open the debate. Obviously we can't disarmed the police, but the repercussions of such acts must be exemplary! A police officer can't shoot someone innocent or someone who surrender. However for me, crime shouldn't exist,so the use of a weapon to a criminal, who tries to escape or commits a crime in front a policeman, after the intervention "oral" of the police officer who orders the criminal go to surrender possible even if the criminal isn't necessarily armed, it's too easy to commit criminal acts to go out for a few days prisons and restart immediately afterwards. Obviously this would be even greater deterrent to criminals but given the quality of some police officers such operation can't be authorized without many errors ... Integrating go pro in vest of the policemen to film their intervention could be a good way to give freedom to the police while controlling but the financial cost would be too high.
So for me the best solution is to allow weapons but their use is only in self defense or rescue others civil.
The United States are a country where weapons are allowed for sale, so the police certainly encounter armed criminals, they are required to be armed ..

Pierre Laurend

Back to top Go down

2nd Week topic Empty (RE) topic 2

Post by Nathanaël Boucher Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:03 pm

Hi everybody !

First of all it is necessary to take into account that difrents states have different legislation on this subject. My opinion on the subjec is shared because there's a lot of parameters to take into account
It is important to me that the police are equipped to be a real dissuasion force, for potential offenders.
They must show that they uphold the law.
Weapons must serve as a deterrent in most cases.
If we do not give them the means to defend themselves, how will they be respected?
If the situation becomes serious , I think that we should not forget the police to use a weapon but however, this use must be very regulated, and highly justified.
The only reason must be the self-defense or the immediate protection of a person in immediate danger.
Weapons must never justify the diverse policy abuses that we hear from time to time in the news.
Abuses must be punished very severely.
Although it must be very careful because the life of people is at stake, the police should be armed to defend themselves because in the United States, most offenders are armed and represent danger for population safety.
Indeed, having a weapon in the US is very easy because weapons can be purchased by everyone .
Finally, I would say give a specific opinion on this subject is not simple.

that's what I think about weapons policy in the United States.
Have a nice week end Wink

Nathanaël Boucher

Back to top Go down

Post by juliette cazin1 Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:00 am

In my opinion United States uses the Constitution to defend itself. When Republicans refuse to vote against gun control because of the freedom of carrying weapons they don't want to change the current situation. Weapons policy in United States cheers on violence because if everybody can have a gun police has to be more and more attentive and reactive facing with people using weapons. If everybody is able to have a gun everybody has to carry a gun to defend itself. Actually it's a vicious circle. In a country where there are more weapons than inhabitants the only means to reduce violence with gun appears to be the gun control.

juliette cazin1

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:51 am

I read that on average there is a "mass murder" over 4 people EVERY DAY in the U.S.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ornella Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:20 am

People are becoming more aggressive and disrespectful to the police.
They no longer fear the police because since childhood they see their big brother insult, beat the police, they are not afraid of police custody or prison, one of the things that frighten them still is weapons.
I think that weapons are a tool that the police must carry on them today because when we know that the police are armed we hesitate a little before committing a crime.
As against the weapons should be attributed to police after a series of test and psychologique enhanced monitoring to ensure that the police use their weapons wisely and not abuse their status of police to kill civilians without any reason.

Ornella

Back to top Go down

Post by Laura Boutant Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:23 am

I think that it would be necessary to forbid the sale of weapons in US. Many people detain weapons. That can be dangerous for the holders and their family circle. Than can be the worse, if they do not know how to use it. Moreover, if weapons were forbidden the sale, that would make more difficult to have a weapon for the unstable people. That could avoid some fussillades in schools ant the policeman would be less in danger.

I think that in the current conditions the policeman are obliged to have a weapon because of the law which autorizes weapons. I think that if we forbid weapons to the policeman. It would be necessary to find a solution to avoid that the policeman or too under stress and commits murders. It would also be necessary to make so that they have the right to take out their weapons that when lives or that of an innocent is in immediate danger.

The solution would be to forbid the sale of weapon. I'm conscious that it's not also simple. Obama tried but failed. In US, to have a weapon it's cultural. Anybody seems to want to take measures against but when tragic events occurs everybody cries but nobody makes anything to change things.

Later it belongs to them, to define their priorities between a thing cultural and to save lives.

Laura Boutant

Back to top Go down

Post by Matthieu Godet Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:21 pm

I found some datas from NYTimes, really relevant datas to point out facts : http://nyti.ms/1KYbEAy

"Since 1970, more Americans have died from guns than died in all U.S. wars going back to the American Revolution."

This speak not at first about deaths, but also suicides. Do you know there's nearly 90% of weapons per inhabitants ? That's the top country (worldwide), but a more relevant information : only 5% of people have actually a licence (they're trained and allowed in a duration to use guns).

As Nathanaël said, laws are not the same in all states, we're agree, or we don't : but whole states allow people to carry guns, that's mainly a matter of matching qualifications not anymore (if you want to carry a gun like drive at 16 it doesn't matter).

Also, other licence problem is the low cost for some states, and some other have dissuasive prices. View this article : http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/concealed-gun-laws-revealed/

Matthieu Godet

Back to top Go down

Post by Mathilde Rigagneau Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:17 pm

The policy of firearms in the United States is really complicated. The lobby of the NRA is very powerful and therefore has a strong influence on policy. There are deaths every day, is the killings in public places regularly. Each time it reopens the debate, even if only the heads of state wanted to change the constitution, this change would be impractical.
Indeed for most of the Americans carrying weapons is something quite normal. For them owning a gun is synonymous with protection. Which causes a vicious circle, there are dead, so we buy a gun to protect themselves, some of these weapons are killing people, etc. Some of them teach their children from an early age to use a weapon. What may have irreversible consequences on their "mental". Arrived at adolescence, young people tend to look for the ideas often extreme form, as mental fragility of some. (=> The recent shootings at universities).
The US have some bought weapons anywhere without the need for any paper. Banks even offer you a weapon for all open an account (see Michael Moore's Bowling for Columbine). Wallmart recently stop selling assault rifle after the last shooting but still continues to sell guns or rifles.
There is also very strong rivalries between the police and African populations. The media report these facts as they want, often arranging the truth for this to stick with what people want to hear. Can we really say whether either is guilty ? The police feel powerful because of their job, only now the police haven't more respect should be granted. But the US, I think, is always a problem of racism. The problem would come from both sides in the case of deadly clashes.
The political weapons is therefore a very sensitive issue, some see it as a right, a value very present in their lives and their constitution, which doesn't imagine living without a weapon. And people who are against carrying weapons but they have little impact!
The American system is what it is, it's another culture that may seem from the outside very weird !

Mathilde Rigagneau

Back to top Go down

Post by WEI DAI Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:38 pm

We know that everything has a dual meaning. On the one hand, as what others said, the weapon policy is determined by the condition of USA and Americans do benefit from it. But on the other hand, I have to say the number of shooting accident in USA is too astonishing. The cases like murder and commit suicide relate to firearm happen with a high frequency.
Should we be opposed to the right of carrying guns for the raison of security? To American citizens, being against to this right means a loss of liberty to overthrow the tyranny. Moreover, concerning the cases happening in public places, it seems at that time, the more holders of guns we have, the more casualties can we cut down. Strangers can shoot the murder or criminal before the police come. Besides, if we deprive the right of carrying guns, should we deprive the right of holding sword? Because it can cause bad accident as well ... Therefore, I don’t think it’s workable to forbid people to carry guns in USA.
As far as I'm concerned, USA should concentrate on the education and the restriction of gun holders and inflicting harsher sentence to criminals.

WEI DAI

Back to top Go down

Post by Nasser Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:59 pm

Hi everyone i want to give my opinion on this subject. This is such a big problem in USA, people even young can own a weapon, wtf ? and in some states, without licence. I got a friend who recently moved to Oregon that told me that the man with whom he shares his appartment owns a M4 ! In my opinion, it really increases violence and crime instead of the protection they pretend... The legislation is lax, and they do nothing althrough what happened in Oregon few weeks ago. Unless if a psychopath shows up in the congress with his weapon then they will talk... Cool ! Ciao.

Nasser

Back to top Go down

Post by Savariau Audrey Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:19 pm

I really don't understand why American Government continues to legalize carrying weapons in 2015. I know that's in their culture and it's a normal thing for them.. But how can they closed their eyes when some of terribles events happened, such as the massive black peoples murder in Charlestown or in the differents universities of the country ?
To my opinion, the weapons policy is still legalized because it's representing an important market in the USA. The Guardian newspaper wrote in an article that for 100 US peoples 88 has a gun. I don't know the price of a basic gun but it's not difficult to imagine that this market represented a lot of billions dollars.
USA are the first country in the world to forbid acts of terrorism which are increased world fear.. But they continues to permit people for carrying weapons and anybody can easily used it to kill someone else and in my opinion it's also an act of fear, not in the same conditions of curse.
For these conditions I think American Government has to reviewed the weapons policy quickly to stop massive innocent murder.

Savariau Audrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Arnaud Guicheteau Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:22 pm

Most Americans think they would be in danger if they didn't have weapon. Whatever we say, it seems impossible to make them change their mind. Actually, I think a majority has a fear of the stranger, they're suspicious, they don't feel safe. That's why they feel better with a weapon.

The problem is anyone can get one. There are so many weapons everywhere that even a kid, a criminal, a deranged person can grab one. There are a lot of accidents. Everybody can shoot anybody so easily it can't work. There are so many dead people because of firearm it has to change. Obviously, taking away weapons should be a good idea, but there are already so many that it would be very long before seeing some improvement.
Of course the Weapons policy in the U.S is a problem, but even if they decided to stop selling weapons, I'm afraid it's already too late. There are already more than one firearm per person, it became very difficult to promote the reduction of arms trading.

As regards this trouble, I'm pessimistic because even if Americans managed to reduce arms trade, it wouldn't resolve all problems.

Arnaud Guicheteau

Back to top Go down

Post by thomas sauzet1 Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:58 am

The America Story is linked with weapons . And we can see the problem now because all of american people can have a gun . A kid can have a gun and we see very horrible thing about that .
But is it possible to ban weapons now in America . I dont think because many person defend weapons and if American president want to ban him , he gonna to loose popularity and i dont think he want to take the risk .
The better solution for me its to make a better control of personn have a weapons and to reduce slowly the numbers of weapons on the market .
Is not with that e gonna to resolve the problem but its a first steep in control of the weapons on America

thomas sauzet1

Back to top Go down

Post by Amélie Berton Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:38 am

Since the beginning of the year, the United-States have been struck by 294 “mass shootings”. 294 events with four or more people shot in less than one year… the figures are horrifying! And what if you add the number of unintentional murder? The kid who killed his mother in a supermarket playing with her gun for example, or other family tragedies like that…

There are many defenders of the carrying of weapons in the USA. They will say that firearms are part of the American culture and history, or that you cannot be secure without a gun. Are they able to read and understand the figures about homicides? One “mass shooting” per day doesn’t sound like security to me.

But, the right to bear a weapon is a fundamental amendment of the American Constitution from 1791: “A well-regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.” A Constitution which has not be amended since 1992…

The problem is that Obama cannot do anything against this law. He is completely powerless. In terms of legislation, the Congress is almost the only decision-maker. So, Obama can just tell how sad, angry and disenchanted he is in his speeches, like in the following one:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x38d5y2_obama-sur-la-fusillade-nous-sommes-engourdis-par-la-routine_news

I am exaggerating because Obama has some solutions to try to improve the situation, but it is just not enough, and he won’t be able to amend this Constitutional right.

Often, I wonder why America make people dream…

Amélie Berton

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:56 am

Yeah,

England is the land of dreams.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alexandra-Cristina IONITA Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:06 pm

Before starting to express my opinion about this problem (because I really think that the "birthright of owning an weapon" must be counted as a problem) I did some researches.
I was surprised that in a top of "10 Horrible Crimes Committed By Children", leaving aside the fact that it was a list of children who commited crimes which scares me, the most of them have been done by using weapons. It was also interresting for me to see that in the policies of universities in U.S (I think that this is happening in a lot of institutions, but I want to mention just the informations that I found evidences for) there is a need to add that "All members of the university community, as well as visitors, are prohibited from
possessing firearms, explosives or weapons (hereafter referred to as “weapons”) on the
premises of the university without the explicit advance authorization of the university,
regardless of whether a federal or state license to possess the same has been issued to the
possessor".
The rate of firearm homicides in U.S is also increasing. So, I cannot understand how some people could think about possessing a weapon, just because the law let and encourages everyone to buy one, can be a security measure. How can the policemen do their job if the killer has also a gun? It's a lucky fact: who shoots the first?
I think that the solution can start with the interdiction of selling weapons like bread. We can say that we accept selling weapons to the civilians but, in my opinion, this could be done after testing the person's ability to use it just in case of self-defense after a psychological test results. And the children must be kept away from the weapons...

Alexandra-Cristina IONITA

Back to top Go down

Post by Pierre Laurend Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:19 pm

I was out of the subject in my first answer, I get back in the game with a new answer.
The answer is simple , weapons cause death if the Americans want it to be armed to defend themselves against those who are armed or to shoot into space and say "Pan Pan" , yes , because the Americans are a little crazy ... Therefore a ban and removal of most of these weapons in the US would be a good solution, created a weapon carry permit for the event "exceptional" and shooting gallery creation cost accessible to all where American gun culture clutched respect , might be a good solution. See a 4 year old child killed his little sister 3 years shouldn't exist .

Pierre Laurend

Back to top Go down

Post by Tsiry A. Rakotomanana Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:59 pm

hi everybody,
the second amendment of the constitution of theUnited States allow to any citizen to carry a weapon and to use it only in the event ofself-defence, this amendment guarantees thatprotection staff is a basic right

the problem is that people take benefit from this situation to use this freedom for bad end, peopleare the Juste for the pleasure of killed or to have revenge
from this point of view wearing weapons is abad thing but with an another vision that made american people familiarized with weapons and they will have the reflex to defend themselves in case of conflict,

Moreover,the United States is present in several conflicts accross the world and have bad relation with some countries, in case of war against China or Russia which would imply a terrestrial war,American people will be ready to fight thanks his situation with weapon policies and that constitutes a great advantage

So there are good and bad sides on their weapon policies

Tsiry A. Rakotomanana

Back to top Go down

2nd Week topic Empty 2nd week topic

Post by JulietteLegrand Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:04 pm

For us, french it's unimaginable to possess a gun, generally we are reluctant to this weapons policy. Personally I don't understand that anyone can have a gun to protect itself even young people (not children of course) , I don't understand why this policy doesn't change after all the killings that happened in the USA. I get that have a weapon to protect itself and its family is part of the manners and that the government can not change this policy easily. This feeling of having to protect itself shows that the american doesn't trust their poice forces capable of protect them and in this case it's normal to need something to defend itself.
Everyone is shocked when there's a killing but there is still no changes, there are to much tragic killing due to weapon in wrong hands, like in connecticut in 2012 when a 20 years old men killed 26 person in which there was 20 children, there was the massacre in a church where 9 people where killed, and The shootout Virginia Tech University in 2007 on the campus of Virginia Tech University made 33 dead. This event is one of the massacres in US history of the deadliest school. I don't understand why people keep thinking that the right to possess a weapon is a good thing for their country.

JulietteLegrand

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Blanchard-Wall Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:48 pm

Just before to give my opinion, an extrait of a short article:
"Compared to 2014, Milwaukee (Wisconsin) would have seen the number of homicides by firearms increased by 50%, Houston (Texas) 30%, Chicago (Illinois) 20%, New Orleans (Louisiana) 33 % ... New York  has also experienced an upsurge in killings by firearms, let alone Baltimore (Maryland), where 45 crimes were recorded for the month of July alone, a level not seen since 1972."

Lemonde.fr updated on the 10/02/2015

This is alarming!
In my opinion, before the question of weapons policy  in the US, there is a major problem in most of our societies: the problem of increasing violence.
Violence is everywhere, on TV series ... they always show some horrible crimes, very detailed ....
Moreover, violence is also present in video games, in advertising and in medias ... all of society.
It's surprising for people that children become more violent ... the answer is here!
It's against the rising of violence that we must fight.
I think there should be a check on what circulates on Internet, on TV ...
Violence should not be broadcast ...
Because I sincerely think that sensitive people may be affected by such acts of violence ... they normalize violence!

So I think we really stop the free circulation of weapons. If Americans be concerned about their constitution, it's time they take care of their life ...
I'm not saying that we need to forbid weapons, but we have to stop the easy access to arms and especially on the Internet ... All those who want to have a weapon must first pass psychological tests. The state must really act. It's a society problem

Sarah Blanchard-Wall

Back to top Go down

Post by SUN YINGYU Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:31 pm

I used to think that the problem of weapons policy in the U.S was far away from me until my friends who study in the U.S posed those bad news on our chatting rooms. The weapons policy concerns lots of aspects such as political and economical affairs. In my opinion, everything have two sides, when weapons are used in a right way, they can keep people from danger, but when they are used in a wrong way, they may cause one's death.

Of cause, the weapons are dangerous, but for me, humains are the most dangerous in the world. The careness of the people, not only physically but also psychologically, is very important.

SUN YINGYU

Back to top Go down

Post by Jana Lopušná Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:29 am

So.. I wont pretend that I know much about this matter. I don´t even know reasons behind an approval of weapons policy, but I see it is more damaging than useful. Just have a look on crime statistics in USA. Guns, as we know them are not longer used for self - defence. People, even ordinary citizens can get that false impression of power carrying gun. This impression of power can be, and actually is misused.
It is too late to change weapons policy.
Besides of what the law says, guns would longer present the same danger as before... In the hands of policeman and criminals...

Jana Lopušná

Back to top Go down

Post by Flavien Vairon Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:35 am

I think this topic is more a question of culture than a question of policy.
Obama would like to change the weapon policy but it's just imposible to do anithing beacause there is to much weapon lobby, very powerfull in the US. In the mind of many american, if we change the law if the weapon are forbiden, it's make a probleme of freedom. For many americain, the solution of the shooting, it's more weaponfor the good guy to protect against bad guys.

I have a freind who are studed in the US, and after the last shooting in the Oregon Univerity, he discussed about the fact during marketing course and his freind ask to the teatcher: "Do think it's can be a good solution to give weapon to teachter in the US university."
It show that int the american people opinion, the solution is not less weapon.

So if the president Obama want, have an impact on the situation, i think the only way is to change the opinion is to make prevention campain.

Flavien Vairon

Back to top Go down

Post by Anthony Deneau Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:17 am

I have a share view also for this topic.
On the one hand gun's are set in USA's people manners. It's been many years that the American cans carry weapons on them and it's seem to be to be a little hard to change this thing radically.
This is part of their culture but it hey have to regulate the carrying of weapons.
People with guns must have a medical followed to determine whether they are fit to use them.
Controls must be in place to remedy any problems which we have heard spoken.

From a very young ages children have learned to use a gun , people who think it is not right are mistaken. We live in a world where weapons are very easy to find. It is therefore necessary for them to learn to use them correctly and safely to avoid accidents .

I practice riffle shooting since I was 11 years old and I don’t think i’m more dangerous than another person. I have often been pointed by my college’s professors , they told me it wasn’t  an activity for a child of my age, but from the time that the activity is framed there's no trouble to have . Wink

Anthony Deneau

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum